· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default question about size

0 Not allowed!
    Hello folks , I think I might want to give SW a try and I was wondering if you all think a 30 or 55 gallon tank would be big enough to start one. I know that with FW the bigger the better , is it the same with SW ? I can convert one of my FW to SW but I don't know which would be the better choice so I'll leave that first decision up to ya'll . So what do you suggest , the 30 or the 55 . Thanks for your time. ALL responses will be appreciated.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Bigger is still probably better. There are some nice nano SW tanks out there. But the same with FW is true with SW - the bigger the tank, the more stocking options you have with fish.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks F T , so you're telling me that I should go with the 55 . I thought it would be better myself , but I needed to hear this from someone on here , now I have to show your response to the wife and I'll be ready to start researching what I'll need as far as hardware. I know the lights will most likely have to be updated ,but will I have to run a different style of filter . At the moment I'm running 2 aquatech 30-60's on it , will I have to change those? Could I run the two HOB's along with a canister?

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    you could always convert the 30 gallon into your sump....
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now that a good idea

1 Not allowed!
    Bigger is better when starting. It's more forgiving than a nano/mini setup. It's easier to make a mistake you can't correct easily in a small tank as opposed to a larger one. My 1st SW setup was a 75G, with the help I got here I was cycled and up and running in 2 months. I now have a 24G Cube that's totally self contained with a Seahorse and Mandarin Goby as well as a dozen soft corals. The Goby and SH feed on the copepods in the tank and all I add is phytoplankton and Tropic Marine. I also do 25% water changes every week and nothing else really.
    I also run 150G predator tank (no sump, no protein skimmer) that I change 50 Gallons a week. With the right setup, a bit of knowledge, patience and help from the folks here, anything is possible and not that hard. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks surfdog. you're right , folks here really are a bonus .

0 Not allowed!
    From my own personal experiences, I would suggest the 55 gallon. I addition to the reason's already listed here, the majority of the truly interesting and colorful marine fish are larger and need a bigger set-up. You will get a lot more stocking options with a 55 gallon as compared to a 30.

You can use your current 55 gallon to convert to a marine set-up, but you will still be starting from scratch have to empty out the tank and cycle it. Not too much of a big deal tho. The below links can help

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/som...for-beginners/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/cyc...rine-aquarium/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/set...ne-aquarium-2/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/com...ine-aquariums/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up a 90gal and have not decided if I should get it drilled or use a siphon overflow. I hear a lot of mixed views on this. Some say using a siphon can cause flooding if power fails or if not setup correctly you may get a loud "slurping" sound.
    Using Tapatalk

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any experiences good or bad use a HOB siphon overflow box?
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast