· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Land snail advice

0 Not allowed!
    We just picked a land snail from a timeshare we were at, and decided to give it a home in a small aquarium that wasn't being used.

(1) Does anyone have any advice on what type of substrate would be best? We poured in a couple inches of soil amend.

Also, (2) how moist should the soil be kept?

(3) I can only assume that a plant would be nice for it. Are there any in particular that would stand up well to a snail's...well, whatever snails do to plants?
    Paul

0 Not allowed!
    I sure hope you are not referring to an Achatina species, if you live in North America.
    they are illegal for their invasive potential. If that does not apply to you, congratulations on your new pet.
    I have kept various terrestrial snails when I lived in Europe, and they were pretty interesting animals.
    For my snails, I just used coconut coir. keeps a lot of moisture and allows them to dig when they want to.
    I am not aware of any snail proof house/terrarium plants, but maybe try something that tolerates humidity yet has tough leaves.

0 Not allowed!
    The snails will eat most types of plants unless you provide them with more tasty food such as fruit and vegetables. If kept well fed they can be kept with plants. Use a substrate that is good at retaining moisture. Snails can not be allowed to try out.

Remember that snails do not tolerate salt and that they are very good climbers so you need to make sure your tank is well convered.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm my email notification ended up in my junk folder. Not sure why....

OK we have some leafy greens there now. I'm still wondering about how moist the amend can be. Should we be watering it regularly, to keep it damp? We live in a desert climate, so the air is pretty dry, although of course the snail is inside the house. And it has a wire mesh covering so there would be plenty of circulation, but he still couldn't get out.

Just looked at some pics of that snail mentioned in the first post. Don't I wish I had a snail as big as my hand! Man I'd probably be too distracted to do any real work around the house! Couldn't believe it. No, its just a traditional, small land snail.
    Paul