· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Question Safe™ by Seachem

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone here use this instead of Prime™?

I purchased some from Kensfish, to replace Prime. It does not come with anything to measure it with.
    I do not know how to break down the measurements to mg, and I have only measure from Kroger that measures down to 1/4 tsp.*

Can someone help me figure 'how much' of this to use for wc 'per 10 gallon increments'?

Thx in advance,
    Ricky
    Last edited by pRED; 01-26-2014 at 05:52 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just looked this up on line. Says it's the dry version of Prime and even more concentrated. I might have to give it a try.

Directions on Amazon say: "To remove…Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 60 L (15 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 75 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 11 L (3 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose! For reference, 1 measure = 100 mg. To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 measures to each 40 L (10 gallons). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) cut dosing in half."

Seems to me those directions are as clear as mud. Did a measuring scoop come with it?

one customer reviewing the product said: "I use 1/4 teaspoon for every 60 gallons in several tanks ranging from 34 gallons to 300 gallons. What a great deal! This stuff will last for years! After several months I can say this is every bit as good as the liquid (expensive) water conditioners."

Here's another review: "Its a little different to use than the seachem prime as for measuring the amount to use goes but it works awesome. It goes along way which is why I adore it since i have 5 large sized aquariums. My opinion is if you just have one decent sized tank or two smaller tanks just use seachem prime. To me the seachem prime is easier/more convenient but if you have multiple tanks and do lots of water changes the seachem safe is the way to go."

Hope this info helps. you figure out how much you need for your tank(s)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    What measurement are you trying to break down into or from milligrams ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    This thread may help - see the last post -
    http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=3876
    Last edited by FrozenTundra; 01-26-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It did not come with a measure. I will check out the Amazon info on product.
    My 1kg(2.2lbs) bottle says this:
    Chlorine: use 5g (1tsp) per 750 L (200gal)
    Chloramine: use 5g per 950 L (250gal)
    Ammonia: use5g(1tsp) per 150 L (40gal)**This I can figure. 1/4 tsp per 10 gals

One, do you need both Cholrine and Cloramine measures for wc?
    I have no measure for mg's, and for the top two, I'm not sure I could do the math involved to come up with correct mg's per 10gal, etc.

*mta: fishmommie, that second review, me. The measured amount would come easier if I had large tanks.
    Last edited by pRED; 01-26-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    Some of your issue here is that you are attempting to convert a volume measurement (teaspoons) to a weight measurement (milligrams) so you are going to get some range in answers. (The metric equivalent of volume measure would be milliliters.

Based on the Seachem site's directions....

They list 5 grams to one teaspoon.

Dosing for a teaspoon is as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Seachem
    Directions for 250 g and larger

Chlorine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1625 L (450 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
    Chloramine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1250 L (300 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
    Ammonia: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm). Do not overdose!
    So for 1/4 teaspoon, you'd treat 1/4 the volume listed and would need to divide by 4.

The better question here would be what size tank are you treating?

You'd need a much smaller measure than your 1/4 tsp for 10 gallons. It may be easier to find the correct measure for what you actually have.
    Last edited by Trillianne; 01-26-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: a word got lost

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    This thread may help - see the last post -
    http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=3876
    Thanks FrznTundra. That's great advice straight from the source!

I need to go buy something that measures 100 milligrams though. Where to buy one is know the question?
    Surely a walmart or drug store would have one?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pRED View Post
    I need to go buy something that measures 100 milligrams though. Where to buy one is know the question?
    Surely a walmart or drug store would have one?
    You might want to read through Trillianne's post above
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    You'd need a much smaller measure than your 1/4 tsp for 10 gallons. It may be easier to find the correct measure for what you actually have.
    I have a 55 and 29 gal. The dose will be for water replaced during wc.
    If i could break down their measure to milligrams, I would know dose for say 10, 20, 50 gal.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Here you go - http://www.amazon.com/Pourfect-12-Pi...ef=pd_sbs_k_58

This 12 piece plus leveler measuring spoon set in white features the following sizes: 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1-1/2 Tablespoon and 2 Tablespoon.

So the 1/64 Teaspoon would be the following

5g = 5000mg = 1 tsp

1/64 tsp = 78.125mg
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!