· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Snowflake eel question

0 Not allowed!
    Ever since I had to rehome one of my lionfish, I have wanted to add another fish to my 120 gallon FOWLR(ish) set-up (link below). Lately, I have been considering a snowflake eel (Echidna nebulosa). Right now I still have my volitan lionfish that is about 8 inches (body size) and a majestic angle that is around 6 inches.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=97070

My concern is whether or not the eel will get along with the angle once the eel starts to reach its full grown size.

The angle likes to hide in the rocks as well . My concern is when the eel is exploring around the tank, he would run into the angle and might nip at him. How realistic is this risk ?

I would add a lot more cave like structures along the bottom of the tank (with PVC pipe) for the eel to call home. I also have tight fitting glass lids

Surfdog….. any advice …… ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Even though as much as I want to guarantee that it will be perfectly fine there have been some instances with others trying… so it's like a hit or miss with the darn eel. But I would go for it… considering it will be a small enough eel that's how I raised all the more somewhat aggressive species haha

I def would add more structure (piping) mid to bottom half but I see you already peeped that so no biggy there.
    Stuck w/ 2 many Hobbies...

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks jman

Even tho snowflake eels are said to be the least aggressive of the eels, I still find the odd story of them trying to eat or nip at a 8 to 10 inch fish (fully grown eels that is). Even tho these situation still seam to be the very slim minority, I'm thinking I will pass on the eel as I don;t want to have to worry about problems once everyone is fully grown.

But they sure are interesting critters.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2 Not allowed!
    As you know I keep Zebra, oscillated, Black Stripe and of course my 1st Moray, my Snowflake. If properly fed (every 4th day) they are not aggressive in any way shape or form. I have no pipe in the tank, they are quite content having a lot of rock with gaps. My snowflake actually moves the substrate out between the rock to make "nooks". When feeding time rolls around, he is very aggressive (the only one I won't hand feed) as he rips the food from the tongs and zips back to his "nook" in a split second. I used to have a full grown Lion in there and it was never bothered. Big AL's gave me a $75 credit for him when I decided to go only Morays and Damsels in the new 150G. Bottom line, snowflakes are docile and love hanging out of the gaps in the rocks. I've seen the Damsels picking at the substrate right next to it and the snowflake didn't even bother looking its way. Bullet proof disease wise and a beautiful addition to any marine tank. BTW, I will be posting a new video of the Eels in their new home in a week and you'll be able to see for yourself before feeding and during...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent, I'm looking forward to the video Surfdog

My wife is always telling me our fish are fat so I certainly would be feeding the eel at least enough

Hmmmmm..........

You have me rethinking this..................

0 Not allowed!
    lol Cliff. The snowflake has very poor vision and at 1st the food must be presented (shoved into the face) to get them to eat. After a few weeks to a month or so, the eel will react to your opening the top or approaching the tank. I think a snowflake would be an amazing addition to any tank, Fish only or Reef. While they do free swim, they don't cross (put weight) on surfaces, they dart back into the cracks. I think you should hold off on adding another fish incase you change your mind. I know it would become your favorite resident in short order.

1 Not allowed!
    Almost forgot. Next feeding is Saturday. I plan to post Saturday night 😳

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You have me rethinking this..................
    [Wisper] Cliff, Scorpion fish, Scoooorpion fish [/wisper]
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeez William, they just sit in one spot and camouflage in so they're hard to find! Or is that a frog fish LOL

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Surfdog ! It is hard to find good info on the typical personalities of these guys

I will be spending a lot more time looking into this before I make up my mind either way

LOL William