· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frankenstein 180g Tank

0 Not allowed!
    So I'll start by saying this isn't something I would do, and if I did it wouldn't be for years....

Buuuuttt was just thinking....

Buy 2 New 55g tanks, take them apart, then assemble a 4'x4'x18" square tank with a plywood base. You could build a frame out of 2x4 for the top and bottom of the glass. You would only need to seal the bottom plywood since you could have the frame outside of the glass.

Drill the center and use a PVC pipe (like 4") as an overflow to a sump below (could be another 55)

What are the thoughts on this? Doable?

Cost Estimate:
    Tank:
    $110 - two 55g tanks
    $40 - Silicone
    $20 - 1 Sheet of plywood
    $100 - lumber for stand and frame
    $50 - a rubber based sealer for plywood tanks (for base)
    $100 - plumbing and bulkheads

So like $400ish to get started - but would be an epic center piece for any room

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Trying to vizualize this... I assume you would be doing this -

taking the 4' front and back sides of each tank and silicone them into the 4' x 4' square and then silicone that to a sanded and sealed piece of plywood? or would you be placing the bottom pieces as well?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    The 4 sides mounted to a plywood bottom (with 4x4 frame to hold the glass panes in place)

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    now you are giving me ideas damn you lol....
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

0 Not allowed!
    that's why I posted this... I actually don't think it'd be too hard.

You'd def need a few power heads for good circulation, but think about doing this tank with it

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    you know what I would like to do with something like that? make do a 3' x 6' abouts and put it in the center of my living room low to the ground. make a 2"x4" trim around it with small notches cut out every so often for air intake and place a tempered glass top on it for a coffee table like center piece. Of course the wife would kill me and the cats would never move off it. So that is probably out.
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    Issue I see with that...

Trying to feed and maintain the tank lol, you'd have to remove that glass each time lol

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    you could do some 1" x 2" cross beams under the hood and then do 3-4 sections of glass hoods that are hinged as well.
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    Only concern I'd have there is the lid sagging in the middle, personally I'd leave this thing topless

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    yea it would have to be a crossbrace similar to this

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |                           |                     |                    |
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

At which you can place the hinges on the horizontal brace and use 6 panels over the top
    Current tanks: