· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Testing parameters - What and when?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok been reading a lot. My brain is about the consistency of oatmeal. It seems like there are just shy of a million different parameters / elements etc in the water that you can test for. I am trying to determine what tests I need right to start. I want to be prepared when I get to the launch time of my 120g but at the same time I don't want to buy anything I may not need for a year later.

So what do you guys recommend and what testing schedule do you use for each?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

1 Not allowed!
    You will want to get the API freshwater liquid kit or something similar to it - you need to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH.

Testing parameters starts from when you add your initial ammonia to start cycling the tank and continues. You will want to read about cycling without fish (if you haven't already) which will tell you what you need to check and how often, and then once the tank is cycled, you will need to check your parameters as you continue to add fish to make sure the bacteria are growing to keep up with the increase in ammonia.

Once a tank is stocked, many of us check once a month or if a fish starts having issues (looks ill or acts different) we check as well to make sure the readings show the tank continues to be cycled.

Edit: I'm confused - you have been through this before as you have other tanks?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    he's new into SW, this is under the reef section of the forum :p

I'm just following cause eventually I'll be asking the same questions

0 Not allowed!
    - Thanks Hardy LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    The process for testing chemistry in a reef tank is very similar to what imma24 posted there are just a few added tests.
    Cycling with live rock and water agitation (no added ammonia) was the way I started my reef.
    Again the main tests during cycling are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, same as freshwater. I use the API liquid reef test kit for the next phase.
    Once the tank is cycled you will want to keep an eye on phosphates as high phos can really give you some algae issues. I try an keep mine at or below .25
    Calcium is another test I like to do monthly as well as KH (CARBONATE HARDNESS) because of the corals and inverts I have in the tank.
    These would be the minimum testing kits as well as the refractometer which I use every other day even after a year.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hehe ya I guess I should have stated the obvious ans said Aside from the normal Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. So I am hearing - Phosphates(i have), Carbonate Hardness (i have), salinity (i have) and Calcium.

I just need the basic tests - not sure if the nitrate, nitrite, and ammo from the freshwater kit work for salt but my kit is 2 years old anyways so I will just replace it.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    The ammonia and nitrate liquid API tests are the same for fresh and salt.
    I hope your measuring your salinity with a refractometer. They are spot on compared to those plastic devices with the swing arm. I started with one of those during cycling. I replaced it once I was done cycling and introducing critters.
    Your going to have a blast with a saltwater tank.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    The ammonia and nitrate liquid API tests are the same for fresh and salt.
    I hope your measuring your salinity with a refractometer. They are spot on compared to those plastic devices with the swing arm. I started with one of those during cycling. I replaced it once I was done cycling and introducing critters.
    Your going to have a blast with a saltwater tank.
    Yes I just ordered one. I am still a ways away from testing anything. Just want to be prepared so i am not ordering and running all over the place at the last minute .
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your ahead of the game already mrramsey.

1 Not allowed!
    I check the temp daily, many times a day as all I have to do is look at the thermometer. I will always do this it is so easy and large temp swings in a short period of time can really cause a lot of problems if they ever happen.

While the set-up is cycling, I check the ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, and salinity daily.

Once cycled I continue with the same tests for about 3 weeks with the addition of the pH. After this period of time has passed, I then start checking: pH, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrates, and salinity weekly. You want to check these fairly often as your corals grow they will start to consume more and more calcium and alkalinity out of the water. I may do this more often if I see something that makes me think there might be a problem. I will periodically check my phosphates, maybe once a month if that, as it always shows no measureable phosphates and I don’t have algae problems to deal with

The below link might be of interest a well

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/the...er-parameters/
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-23-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]