· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Do eels regurgitate food or is there certain food to avoid?

0 Not allowed!
    A buddy of mine called me yesterday to let me know he got super elevated level of nitrates and could not understand why it happened. He has a SW reef and got an eel a few weeks ago. Connecting the dots i asked him to check where the eel seems to have settled and see if there is bits of food.

Does anyone have had such experience? Is it because they do this naturally or is there certain food to avoid?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely not on regurgitation. But they are very messy eaters where they tend to shred food like shrimp. If feeding octopus or squid it happens less as the meat is tougher. Morays have a moving jaw behind the one you see that pulls the food down, the mouth will move and that causes shredding. I'm not surprised his nitrates went up and quickly at that.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

2 Not allowed!

This shows how messy even with octopus.
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    that was COOL, thanks for sharing!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Dude... it's apparent that I need to own eels now. lol That was killer. That white ribbon eel (I assume it was the small one) was pretty cool looking, too... such a bright white. Couldn't even tell what it was... just looked like a white shadow.

Anyway, thanks for sharing - that was really cool.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks, it makes sense watching the video

0 Not allowed!
    Ocean, I should also have mentioned that Eels can go 7 weeks without eating. If your bud is feeding more than every 4th or 5th day, it's way to much. They will drag food down and under rocks "just because" and never eat it. I have some huge bristle worms for CUC to deal with the pranksters...😜
    10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Dude... it's apparent that I need to own eels now. lol That was killer. That white ribbon eel (I assume it was the small one) was pretty cool looking, too... such a bright white. Couldn't even tell what it was... just looked like a white shadow.

Anyway, thanks for sharing - that was really cool.
    Ribbons are wonderful and reef safe. They can be a pain in the rump to get eating. Once they do, they will swim to the top and wait when they see you. It took almost 2 weeks to get my ribbon eating. I started mine with calamari rings (un breaded of course) cut into long narrow strips. Dangle in front of eel and eventually it will eat. I have found with patience, even the blue's or other ribbons can be weaned. The ribbon you see is my 1st eel along with a snowflake. All the fish you saw have been re-homed and replaced with Damsels (they're fast and get the little leftover bits).
    10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, wow... those were yours? I didn't realize that. Congrats on having some beautiful live stock and a nice setup.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    That was shot in my 75G. Had to upgrade to a 150G as the Eels have grown considerably. I've been to lazy to shoot a new vid but will soon. You will be able to see the difference in size after 1 year.
    10G Fresh (Beta)