· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: semi DIY co2

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I used to use two bottles on my set-up. Each week I would empty and replace one of them so I had a more constant supply of CO2.
    Thats what I do...works well and there are no fluctuations. Fluctuations in CO2 is what causes algae issues, keep things steady as possible and you'll be fine
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok now I'm confused.

none of the new bottles I made seem to be producing any co2.

I misread what Cliff said the first bottle and put in a table spoon of yeast instead of a teaspoon. I corrected this for my 3 new bottles but none of them seem to be producing any co2 and its nearly beed 24 hours since I started them. Is that normal? I'm thinking maybe I only saw such a quick reaction the first time because I used a tablesoon. or am I meant to use a tablespoon of yeast? :S

0 Not allowed!
    I have found the best results were when I would use 1 tsp (teaspoon), or, 1/2 tbsp (tablespoon) per 2 cups of sugar and it lasts about 2 weeks before I would have to replace it. Just make sure to mix the solution in the bottle every few days by gently swirling it to help prevent anything from settling and becoming inactive.

If you had followed the instructions correctly, then I think this sounds like a problem with your yeast. Try getting a new package of yeast form the store and try the new yeast. I think that sometimes yeast can become less effective. I have had that happen to me before, but each time when I tried a new package of yeast the problem seamed to go away.
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-16-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again guys.

Investigated further today.

I found the diffuser I bought for the 20 gal didnt work. It wouldnt let any air through even when I blew through it. I also resealed all the new bottles with thread tape and added more silicone around the hose/lid. Added a little bit more yeast and replaced the diffuser with an airstone - now its working well.

I didnt add anymore yeast to the second bottle which I added to the 30Gal just to see how it goes - atm the only way I get it to work is by swirling the bottle some more, I'll give it a couple more days.

0 Not allowed!
    Good to hear you got things working again

I would also like to add a +1 to MCHRKiller's above advice to alternate changing the bottles to allow for a more steady supply of CO2 to help your tank remain stable

If using CO2 seams to work for you, then I would suggest looking into pressurized CO2. It's not really hard to set-up and use, but it certainly is a lot less work and gives you a more consistent supply of CO2

Sorry if I had missed this, but are you using a drop checker right now ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nah not using a drop checker at the moment, the store had run out when I was there on the weekend, a couple more days and ill get.

Pressurized co2 is not something I'm planning on getting any time soon. I'm a student, earning less than $300 a week and living at home and In one of the most expensive cities in the world. I cant afford to spend a few hundred on gas bottles, regulators etc.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just wanted to echo talldutchie's sentiment about adding a check valve. They are dirt cheap and an important safety net. Even though it is highly unlikely, it is possible that a siphon could be created drawing tank water into your reaction chamber, unless a check valve is used. If this happened, the chamber could fill and begin to pump yeast and sugar into the tank, causing big problems.