· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: semi DIY co2

1. Default semi DIY co2

0 Not allowed!
    So Im planning on setting up some DIY co2 as what I have isnt working so well.

I'll do the ol yeast sugar combo but I'm looking at bits of glass on ebay.
    I want to get enough to set up all my tanks so I'm looking at getting about half a dozen of each thing.
    I need; one-way valves, a bubble counter, diffuser and a drop checker, right?
    I've found some cheap (possibly factory rejects) bits and pieces coming from hongkong.

I'll probably get these;
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-...item2ecc32f682
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CO2-Glass...-/181055619456
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-...-/320921945258

and then I need the co2 test solution stuff right?
    I found this;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-dKH-Refere...-/331069561438
    has anybody used this stuff? heard anything about it?

Am I missing anything?

0 Not allowed!
    I honestly wouldnt bother with a check valve or a bubble counter for DIY CO2. Reason being...you cannot control how much CO2 is being injected into the tank it is a constant low stream. This also eliminates the need for a check valve...your line will be constantly pumping in CO2 unless you allow your mix to die. Even then its just a DIY mix and not a piece of expensive equipment.

All you need for DIY CO2 is a DIY bottle, a mix of sugar-yeast-baking soda, silicone tubing a diffuser, and a drop checker. The 4DKH solution is easy simply put enough into the drop checker to fill it about half way then put 5-6 drops of indicator solution in there.

What size tank are you going to be setting up DIY CO2? If these tanks are over 30G I honestly would not bother with DIY...with larger tanks you would need so many bottles to generate enough it just becomes a huge PITA. It is also most effective to setup 2 generator bottles per tank and connect them with a T valve and then hook them to the same diffuser. The theory behind this is you can change 1 bottle out per week and keep a more constant supply of CO2 going and avoid huge dips which can cause PH swings and algae outbreaks.

Also always use baking soda in your recipe as it helps to buffer the mix and avoid rapid burnout of the yeast...makes the mix more stable and producing a lower longer lasting brew.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    A drop checker is never a bad idea. Some kind of valve to keep the yeast mixture from accidently entering your aquarium is also a good idea but many people make this from an empty second bottle.

I seriously doubt if your system will generate enough pressure to use a ceramic diffuser. A flipper or even an air stone will likely work better.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    youre probably right about the check valve and bubble counters.

I plan on adding co2 to my 30 & 20 gallon tanks, and depending on the results Id add them to all of my smaller tanks.
    got some 4L bottles which I plan on using.

whats a flipper?

I think I'll give the ceramic diffuser a go and I'll probably try both in different tanks, the glass looks nicer than an air stone imo. I also like the glass U bends for where the tube exists the tank because I have had problems with kinking the hoses.

its all cheap as chips with free postage so I'm not too fussed it they dont work I guess.

0 Not allowed!
    Im running a glass diffuser with DIY...works fine. You would also get good results putting the diffuser near a filter output as it will disperse the CO2. Id put 2 of the 4L bottles on your 30 each with its own diffuser ti get a better spread of CO2.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the responses, Ill be starting on this within a week I think

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What sort of recipe are you guys using?

I'm planning on two 1 gallon bottles, for a 30 gallon tank.

I need measurements for;
    Sugar
    Yeast
    Baking soda?
    Molasses?

How long do you let the bottles run for?

0 Not allowed!
    When I had DIY CO2, I used a 2L pop bottle with 2 cups of sugar and 1 tsp of active dry yeast.

Just add the sugar and fill the bottle 1/2 full with hot tap water. Shake it very well until all the sugar is dissolved. Once dissolved, fill the rest of the bottle with water that is a just a little cooler than room temperature but leave about 3 inches of space at the top of the bottle. Mix it well again, add your yeast, then mix it some more. It should start produce CO2 in about 2 hours or less
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff, I used your recipe and so far so good, I think it's been about a week and it seems to have stopped producing so much co2. I was only using one 5L bottle. Today I will add a 4L to the setup and some bottles for my 20 gallon tank.

Thanks for everyones help!

0 Not allowed!
    I used to use two bottles on my set-up. Each week I would empty and replace one of them so I had a more constant supply of CO2.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]