· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default what is going on with my fish

0 Not allowed!
    recently i posted that my neon's were dieing and we/i decided that is was because of the obscure rare high nitrates in my tank. all showed no signs of stress
    well now another one has died. my readings are 0, 0, 10.
    also my ram has not been himself these past few days.
    he hasn't been eating, he is inactive and is always opening and closing his mouth and pumping his gills.
    i have done 3 40% water changes these past 3 days. before i did any water changes my nitrate reading was 10 which is quite odd. there are no nitrates in my tap.
    anyway i have dosed prime to detoxify the existing nitrate, but ram is not responding.
    these past few days have not been going well, since i have a flu or cold and it is quite diffucult for me to be doing water changes.
    nether the less i still am doing them.
    what should i do?
    i really like my ram and don't want to lose it. what do i need to do?
    i think it's quite obvious that water quality is not the issue here. btw temp is at 26 degress
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

2 Not allowed!
    I would stop dosing prime, it a dechlorinater not a medicine. It seams like you typically want to dose prime in your tank when something is not going well. No telling what potential problems you can run into by doing that.

Is the pH of your tap water stable and dose it match the pH of your tank water ?

Are you matching the temp of the replacement water with the tank water when completing a water change ?

Can you have your water parameters tested by someone else (like a LFS) to verify your test results ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    the ph of my tank is 7.6.
    the ph of my tap is around 7.1. i know it is not really close but i can't do anything about it. something in my tank makes it go up and i never found out what.
    this has happened ever since i got my tank and nothing huge has happened.
    i could get a second test but, my test kit is good to 2017 and shows different results for my other tank so i think it is accurate.
    oh and prime i won't use anymore if you say so. thanks
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

1 Not allowed!
    Also, look for the report from you local water company to see what your parameters are. If you cannot find it, you can call them. Maybe they made some change you are not aware of that can be detrimental to the health of your fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Use prime to only to dechlorinate your water when completing a water change

Try smaller but more frequent water changes for a week or two, like daily 20% and see what happens.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    well today im taking a break but tomorrow i'll get to it.
    thanks
    oh and couldn't find anything on the city water parameters

0 Not allowed!
    can it be an internal parasite . he had a cut or tear a week ago, and i made sure that his water was clean, but maybe i failed and a parasite got in somehow. he has gotten worse over the night

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    Have you ever thought about leaving your tanks alone for a while and letting them mature? You are constantly moving things, moving the tanks, changing equipment, and digging around in the tanks. Consequently, you are always starting threads about trouble with either your fish or your tanks. I don't know if your r am is going to make it, but i do know both rams and neons need a mature tank. I suggest you start doing one or two water changes a week and clean your filters once a month and nothing else for a while, let the tank mature. a Also FYI, overdosing Prime can deplete oxygen in the water. I don't have the time or inclination to google that for you so you can trust me and only use Prime with your water changes and stop using it as medication, or you can goolgle it yourself and only use Prime with your water changes and stop using it as medication.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    what do you mean leave it alone.
    the only big change i have done is clean out the algae in my tank.
    my other threads were about things going wrong in my tank or something was strange and i ended up not changing much.
    i have had this tank for almost two years, and this ram for a year. i think that that is a "mature tank".
    and i get that i shouldn't use prime for any other reason than conditioning tap water. i stopped

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You recently moved this tank to the closet because you refused (many times) the advice to put a background on it to help with the algae. Moving it disrupts the bio-film and micro-organisms needed to make a tank mature.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.