· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superbowl Chili Cook Off

0 Not allowed!
    So, a SB party I am going to is having a chili cook off...

My chili is typically pretty boring since me and my fiance have different tastes, so we spice it to flavor after it is cooked.

I need ideas that are different since I am a rookie at this annual party lol.

I need something with a ton of flavor and little kick - woman voted for a sweet chili (which won last year) so can't be too hot

0 Not allowed!
    I had to look this up. Interesting tradition.

Hmmm...

Ground beef or finely cut braising steak? That's your first decision. The latter only if you have time to simmer the chili. A small chorizo cut into small pieces can liven up a chili, especially if you fry it first in some oil and tip tit in oil and all. For spices I tend to use garlic, pepper, some salt, ground cumin and a touch of cinnamon. If I can get it some smoked powdered chili.. I also use some vegetable or beef stock as a cooking liquid. I've heard some people add a small amount of very dark and bitter chocolate to theirs.

Do practice in small portions a few times and make notes.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I have 2 weeks to prepare it, I want it to simmer a few days to get a good even flavor throughout

0 Not allowed!
    Are you going to shar the final recipe?

I've got you started but there's not much chili culture here, I'm sure there will be many other recipes shared here later today.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm leaning towards a bison / venison based chili, maybe some bacon

I like the idea of a little cinnamon though

But yes, I'll share the recipe and results

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    ooooh now I am interested, growing up in texas, chili was practically its own food group.

But first and foremost do you like soup style chili or thicker like what you would put over hotdogs / french fries / etc, how hot you want it, and beans or no-beans

typical spices / veggies (get a grinder and bulk seasonings in those little plastic bags for most stuff - better than jarred store stuff)
    - Garlic gloves, Onion, Fresh ground pepper, sea salt, cumin, bell peppers,

to give it a sweet edge on top of the spice - honey

optionals that good while getting the meat going - Worcestershire sauce to give it a little zip

knowing what you like more will give better idea what to recommend
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    Looking for more of a soup. But needs to be a thick chunky one. Def need to include beans

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    one thing I recommend then is stew meat would give it that beef stew style chunkyness with alot of flavor if you marinate it prior to the chili
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything is better with bacon... But the chorizo is also a good choice. The mild stuff is especially yummy.
    And a pinch of cloves does great things to tomato based stuff. Also a pinch of baking soda.
    Roasted poblanos are really good for a subtle warmth, not as sharp as the anchos or jalapenos.

I also always give my chili half a beer... :D

Let us know how things turn out! I always hearing about how other people cook!
    15g tall - 2 corys, 8 glowlight tetras, and survivor bob the oto, and lightning the nerite snail
    20g - 4 peppered corys, 8 serpae tetra and thunder the nerite snail
    36bow - 9 pristella tetras, 1 bolivian ram, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 3 otos
    Oh... And plants! Plants for all the tanks :)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Base: Tomato soup or tomato juice with tomato paste added, 1 beef boullion cube.

Saute chopped onions and celery (1-2 stalks) with the beef.

Can of fire roasted tomatoes for some depth, kidney and pinto beans, cook the meat in with the spices (I use ground beef).

Cumin, oregano, lots of garlic, onions, chili powder, cocoa powder (just a bit), smoked or regular paprika. Cayenne and/or crushed red pepper flakes for heat. Dash of Worcestershire.

Red/green peppers optional (I don't like them).

This is not for everyone, but I add a tiny bit of butter to my single serving bowl sometimes...when you are sampling it, try it and see if you like it.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!