· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hmm super food?

1. Default hmm super food?

0 Not allowed!
    so I have been reading about ich and stumbled on a video about it that mentioned a food that has garlic in it that works as a preventative because fish eat garlic sweat it out and parasites stay away. I have spent half my day trying to find a local store with this food but no luck and shipping is CRAZY to alaska. It's called spectrum tera a i believe. The guy in the video was saying it's easier to prevent than to treat so I ordered some and the shipping was almost as much as the food but... if it will help keep them healthy and happy I'm all for it. has anyone heard of this food or use it?

and on a side note.. aside from water changes (which my fish are starting to love... they have started swimming into the stream of water from the bucket as I add it.. at least I hope it means they love it... lol) and keeping on top of the water readings what else can I do to minimize risk?

I set up the 20g tank i had in my classroom today to begin the fishless cycling. My hubby was going to use it for his since he enjoys mine but has decided that they are tons of work so I think I get it. woot! even though I told him I will do all the work. I enjoy it. if he still decides he's uninterested I might make it a quarantine tank.

Anything else like this super food I'm too isolated to know about?

1 Not allowed!
    I don't think I trust this claim. I'd like to see some scientific evidence to back this up. I do know that garlic is a common ingredient in a lot of fish food since it tempts fish to eat it. I've used it in my vegetarian gel food. It's also a common ingredient in carp bait.

98% of all Ich infections I know are due to unhappy fish. Unsuitable water conditions, bad combinations, tanks that offer insufficient shelter, that kind of thing. Most of the rest are due to introducing fish that are already symptmatic.

I do my water changes by placing a bucket on top of the tank and letting the water syphon in via a 6mm air hose. I add a dash of frozen food to the new water.My fish have learned to associate fresh water with snacks so there's no stress just 20 fish frolicking in the new water and snatching snacks from it.

Back to food... most commonly sold mid and upper level fish are easy to cater for. Surface dwellers like guppies do best on flake mid water fish do best on a slowly sinking pellet. Over here Tetra sells a crisp mix. Small pellets of food, 1-2mm. Half of it floats for some time and the other half sinks fairly quickly.
    For my bottom dwellers I got some sinking wafers and fresh vegetables.

Alaska... once the thaw starts you should get a load of mosquitos, right? Just about all barbs and tetras absolutely love mosquito larvae. I leave a water but outside from may until late september. Every few days I net whatever appears in there. Tip it into a white plastic container so I can verify I don't have any damselfly or dragonfly larvae (do you even have those in Alaska?) and tip the rest in for a feeding frenzy.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Do fish sweat?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Not as we do. But they do create a mucous coat which I assume was referred to by these claims.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 01-20-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, I was kidding about the sweat thing. I have heard of the benefits of New Life Spectrum Thera A but I doubt it is a "super food" any food that contains garlic will do. I have also discussed the benefits of garlic in a fishes diet with a respected and knowledgeable fish keeper and he agrees garlic can help prevent parasites in fish although I don't recall any scientific data being quoted and I also doubt it can prevent an ich outbreak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    and on a side note.. aside from water changes (which my fish are starting to love... they have started swimming into the stream of water from the bucket as I add it.. at least I hope it means they love it... lol) and keeping on top of the water readings what else can I do to minimize risk?
    The best thing you can do to minimize risk is clean water and quality food.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    I did a bit of digging and at least 2 attempts have been made to study this. Neither attempt was very convincing as to proper science.
    As far as I'm concerned... yes fish like garlic, yes it seems to do something for their health. Does it actively scare away parasites? I really don't know yet.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Does it actively scare away parasites? I really don't know yet.
    Agree. There are a lot of opinions out there that it does help to make the fish less appealing to many parasites but until there is scientific evidence to support the claim I am skeptical. It certainly doesn't hurt to feed it to the fish in the mean time though.

0 Not allowed!
    However, the only way I see that this could be tested would be to set up two tanks, identical set ups and stocking

feed one this food, another tank a different food

then introduce a positive case of ich and watch the results

However, in my opinion it would be pretty cruel to put the fish through the conditions needed to cause ich just for an experiment. I think the food may reduce the chances, but not nearly as much as proper care of the tank would

0 Not allowed!
    You could have also bought a garlic food soak specifically for fish or DIY'd your own recipe.

IMO garlic mainly acts as an appetite booster, its effects are debatable as being a parasite repellant, too many variables and too little test results. Certainly if fish are maintained properly this would not be an issue in the first place. Another good and probably more effective additive especially to those of us keeping cichlids is the addition of vitamin C to their diets. Vitamin C is proven to help with nutrient deficiencies and warding off HITH.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post

Just about all barbs and tetras absolutely love mosquito larvae. I leave a water but outside from may until late september. Every few days I net whatever appears in there. Tip it into a white plastic container so I can verify I don't have any damselfly or dragonfly larvae (do you even have those in Alaska?) and tip the rest in for a feeding frenzy.
    Don't feed damselfly or dragonfly larvae because of their beneficial nature to the rest of the environment or due to them being bad for the fish?

This caught my eye because we have LOADS of mosquitoes... And the other two as well.
    15g tall - 2 corys, 8 glowlight tetras, and survivor bob the oto, and lightning the nerite snail
    20g - 4 peppered corys, 8 serpae tetra and thunder the nerite snail
    36bow - 9 pristella tetras, 1 bolivian ram, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 3 otos
    Oh... And plants! Plants for all the tanks :)