· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default First Tank! 20g Long and questions.

0 Not allowed!
    This was my birthday/Xmas present to myself! (my b-day is the 24th... yeah.) I've been researching, preparing and waiting for the opportunity to arise for about 2 years now. So last Xmas I made the decision to get a tank to join my crew of animals (Siamese cat and two Crested Geckos) and so far I'm content. This was the day I set it up. I didn't even wash the sand...

I stole the driftwood from one of my geckos because it just didn't fit right in their enclosures. Poured boiling water over it and let it soak and scrubbed it before putting in to the tank with flourish and sand substrate with a internal filter that pumps 171g/hr (rated for a 40g max). The Amazon Sword and Anubis I got at Petsmart.

This was the night my plants I ordered arrived and I got them in. Looks nice right? Too bad most wilted back to the point there was nothing left so a lot of them I've thrown out. I have a few stem plants that are alright and I got some pennywort I believe that I hope makes it because it's one of my favorite plants. The amazon sword has no sprouted about 5 new leaves and the Anubis has about 2-3 coming in and fleshing out. I don't think I'll order plants again unless they're going to be packed in actual water and not just a wet towel and I can do overnight shipping because I really don't feel this was worth $22 since most of the plants didn't make it.

Along with the flourish substrate, I have API root tabs in there as well as Jobe's Fertalizer Sticks. The Anubis and Amazon are loving my tank apparently...

I'm currently using a 6500k bulb (T8 I believe) and in the process of a Fishless cycle.

My future stock plans for the tank will be as followed:
    Harlequin Rasbora x10
    Cory cats x5
    Albino long-finned Bristlenose Pleco x1
    Betta x1
    Mystery Snail x2

I've heard many successful stories about keeping a betta in a community tank with the Harly's and Corys so I hope I can find the right betta with a good disposition.

As for a question to start things off (though there will be more to come) I've had someone tell me that the way I'm cycling is 'wrong'. When I first started I dosed ammonia up to 4ppm and left it alone, testing the ammonia and Nitrite daily. After about two weeks I got my first show of Nitrites. Now, ammonia is dropping to 1ppm or lower every other day, so at that point I dose it up to 3ppm. The person has told me this is bad. I don't understand how... they say to not dose ammonia for 4 days minimum but wouldn't the bacteria starve then? Wouldn't I be doing more harm then good? They say it'll stall the cycle if I dose too much but EVERY source I've read says to dose around 3ppm when the cycle kicks off. My nitrites are now off the chart. 5ppm+. The tube turns dark purple after only 2-3 tilts. My nitrates are somewhere around 5-10ppm. Still has a yellowish hue though is definitely getting more red in it. They recommend me to do a WC and to stop dosing ammonia so much (I dose every other day up to 3ppm, they say not to do it for about 4 days) but I'm hesitant to follow that advise... so... thoughts?

SECOND QUESTION:
    For the Betta... I feel my filter might be too strong, but I don't really want to go and get a new filter because I LOVE spraybar filters. I feel they are much nicer than HOBs because it doesn't suck up water it just spat out. I have it on the lowest setting, and though there is flow (my plants sway, not violently, but a nice gentle sway) but I still feel it might be a bit too strong. Is there a way I can dampen the flow a bit?
    Last edited by Mechanical8Dragon; 01-20-2014 at 02:56 AM.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

1 Not allowed!
    You should not dose any more ammonia till it drops to zero then dose enough to 1-2ppm at which point it should hit zero in 24 hrs if you are cycled along with zero nitrites. once that is occuring every day then you are cycled. At that point do a large water change before adding fish to get the nitrates below 20ppm.

Btw welcome to AC

edit here is the forum sticky on doing a fishless cycle - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, mk... well when I dose it's just baaaarely green. Not quite 0 but certainly not that high either. I've read about 5 different sources for fishless cycling and yes they did say to cut back on how much you dose once Nitrites show up by about half, so I figured I was fine doing about 2-3ppm (hard to do an exact measure with just the bottle cap though I'm getting the hang of it, it's a big cap so there's only 2 'thread lines' and they both have big gaps between them so yeah haha)

Should I do a WC to bring nitrites down to a readable level? They said if they got too high it'll stall the cycle, which I've also read during my research, but will bringing them below the 5ppm mark be alright? Won't harm anything? Some sources say it's fine and just leave the tank be while a few say you don't want it too high.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC. You can drill the spray bar with more holes or you can make your own spray bar to lessen the flow. The fishless cycle link that Frozen posted is exactly right. You don't want to dose 4ppm of ammo. because it is a smaller tank. 2ppm is perfect. let it zero out then dose back to 2ppm.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got nothing to drill the holes with ;-; Uh... cept a bunch of screw drivers and... idk.. knives... any creative ideas here folks? :D lol (steak knife? :o)

and alright. I'll cut back on the dosing. I just wanted some more opinions cus other than that one person no one else seemed to bring it up so I wanted to double check.

0 Not allowed!
    No. Do not conduct water changes until your nitrates go off the charts. When they do, you are cycled. There is no benefit to conducting w.c.'s during a fishless cycle. All it does is remove the ammonia that you have been introducing and throwing the cycle out of whack.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    everyone should have at least some form of a small drill for light projects in my honest opinion - a 12v cordless drill can usually be had for $50 or less at a local Lowes, Home Depot, etc, shoot even wally world has them for about that price for Black and Decker drills.

I can't tell you how many times mine has come in handy.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    meh yeah but im not going to spend $50 for a drill i'll only use once and i'm not a DIY type of gal and i dislike powertools (im weird...) Only DIY i'll ever do is when i upgrade my geckos, but the local lowes will cut glass for me right then and there soooo hahah. I'll just try carving out holes with a steak knife or my scissors. P:

1 Not allowed!
    I would not recommend attempting to create holes with scissors or knives, as you risk fracturing or otherwise compromising the spraybar and having to get a new one, or injuring yourself.

How about turning the spraybar so it points against the glass, into a large decoration, or another baffle to diffuse the flow?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does the flow go across the entire surface of the tank? I've never had a spray bar, so I don't know. If there is a kind of "dead flow" spot, the betta will find it, especially if you have plants that will help break up the flow... Any of those reach close to the surface?
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!