· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Default 10 gallon planting options

0 Not allowed!
    So I am wanting to plant my little 10 gallon that I got supplies on the way for (see journal in sig). I will be using Pool Filter Sand as my substrate along with a bit of driftwood and a couple rocks possible, but I am trying to decide what plants and how many I could put in there. I really like the 20 gallon low light pack from here - http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....kage_p_62.html.

I am afraid though that would over crowd my little 10 gallon, although the physical foot print between that and the 20 is not that much extra 4" long and 2" wide - it is several inches shallower.

As far as lighting I was looking at for now one of the Aqueon incandescent hoods with two 10-13 watt CFL spiral bulbs but I am not quite sure how much light that would produce or the a single florescent hoods as well. I know I want a 6500-6700k bulbs in there at least. I am trying to go with a low tech solution as possible.

Also as far as planting on the driftwood, how do you do that? I have seen several people attach plants like java fern to the wood itself and get it to take root there?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Things I forgot to mention -

for my water out of the tap - ph is 7.6 usually, and has been stable at that in my other tank for some time as well.
    Stocking - primarily for my molly fry and maybe a couple inverts once it is cycled
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

0 Not allowed!
    I saw your other thread where Cliff recommended the Clamp on style light from the Home Depot. Most people that use them or others like it, make a simple bracket outside of the tank (cut down 2X4's "L" shaped) and then just clamp the light to that --or they just clamp it directly to the rim of the tank itself which will not work for you because you are using a glass top right? How much hardscape will you be using in the tank? I noticed the picture on the store site does not match the list completely and the first pic in the top left corner looks like java moss to me, which isn't even listed. I also do not see an Amazon Sword in the pic? As for the Java Fern, I like to use cotton thread, like what you would use for sewing, because it will disintegrate over time. You can tie it to rocks, wood, basically anything. You can also free float it too. The Marimo ball, should you get it, is actually algae and needs to be "rung out" periodically because it will fall apart down the road if not done, creating a mess i your tank that will spread like wild fire. 6500-6700k is exactly what you need.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That other thread wasn't mine, I just never seen it before but I did comment in said thread - someone else was asking about DIY fixtures. For the glass hood. I could trim a piece of the plastic off the back if I needed to for a light to clamp on. I will be using an Aqueon Versa Top so that isn't an issue if it is just a small strip I need to trim out. Depending on the length of the arm I have a 1"x4" similar to the one that is running in front of my tank in my journal pics behind the tank as well about 6" or so behind it. I may be able to bolt a piece of wood on that or something.

But back to the plants. here is what is listed as in that package -
    2 x Java Fern or Lace java fern
    2 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii "red"
    2 x Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, or Spiralis
    2 x Anacharis or Anacharis narrow leaf, or Bacopa Carolina
    1 x Marimo Ball
    1 medium Amazon Sword

and as far as ringing out the marimo ball what do you mean. just rinse it in old tank water from time to time? Otherwise I know you have to turn it from time to time to keep it from browning, how often do you need to do that?
    Current tanks:

1 Not allowed!
    Ringing it out by physically taking it out of the tank and squeezing all the water out of it. I typically do it about every 2 weeks or so. If you don't do this it will become brown, harden up and eventually fall apart.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What are the dimensions of your tank? If the tank is short you should probably avoid tall background plants unless you like trimming often.

I have crypts in my 15 and 10 gallon tanks and they are doing well, they spread quite fast and dont grow too tall under direct light. crypts down mind low lighting either.

Most of the plants in that pack are background plants and will probably be fine.

Isnt that Jave Moss in the picture and not Java Fern like it says? :S

java fern is easily attached with some string. Ive even just jammed in in a crack in the wood or weighed in down with another stick.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    It is a standard 10 gallon tank - 20" long, 10" deep, 12" tall. thats why I was asking about the package. If it is to much hassle for the 10g then I can look at some smaller individual plants.

How long would it take for the java fern to take root on the DW? I have plenty of sewing thread around here that I could attach it with to things or just plant in sand as well. We have a rock bed all the way around the house with various sizes of landscaping rock ranging from pebble size all the way up to 6" diameter so I got a selection if I wanted to steal any for the tank. Just need to vinegar test it first and soak in some declorinated water.
    Current tanks:

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its not too much of a hassle. I enjoy trimming and replanting every few days but that might not be what you want, with my crypts I dont touch them at all so you could plant with something that grows short like that.

my Java Fern took maybe a month to really start growing on my log. I prefer the look of it attached to wood but its personal preference.

whats the vinegar test?

0 Not allowed!
    Do not bury the roots of the Java Fern below the sand. They will rot. They should "grab" in a couple of weeks or sooner to whatever you tie them to. Also, you do not need to tie them really tight, just enough so that they do not come off under current. I find that when tying Java Ferns, Anubias, etc, it is easiest if you have two people- one to hold the driftwood/rock and actual plant and one to tie.

0 Not allowed!
    The sword will outgrow your tank and the C.spiralis will grow too tall. You could honestly just purchase a few plants here and there more tailored to your setup. With either the single tube T8 or the 2x13watt CFLs you will have either low or lower medium lighting. Not bad...and perfectly fine for most plants. Here is what I would keep:

Hygro...very easy to grow, sucks up excess nutrients, and easily out-competes algae. Most species will honestly work for you Hygro sp. tiger and corymbosa are good ones.

Crypts are also good, do note they primarily are root feeders and will need root ferts with your inert substrate. I would steer away from really tall growing ones and opt for some variation of wendtii or lucens.

Ferns can be easily attached to things with thread or fishing line or you can just wedge them somewhere and they will soon attach themselves. Windelov is a bit more demanding of light and CO2...needle leaf is a spastic weed so I would opt for NL or regular java fern.

Anubias are another good low light option..stick them between rock or wood or plant them with rhizome exposed.

Marimo balls are cool and yes just rinse them out in tank water squeezing them like a sponge. You will also have to roll them around the tank from time to time so all sides can receive lighting.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon