· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Light fixture type /size

0 Not allowed!
    I think I have decided to use the ReefBreeders lights based on conversations I have had with some owners. They have a single 48" programmable fixture that I really like. There are 102 3watt LEDs with 90 degree lenses. I am told that the par is near 200 at the sand 24" down with the fixture 10" above the water.

My question relates to the center brace on the tank. It seems to me that it might be better to use 2 smaller fixtures as opposed to 1 continuous. Would this be an accurate statement or a mute point?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    My 90 gallon SPS reef had a center brace on it. This had no impact on my lighting what so ever, even when I still had the T5HOs on it. I even had two acros pretty close to being almost directly the brace and they did not grow any slower than any other of the

I would personally recommend a fixture that is wider with a lot with less of a angle on the lenses. Even with 90 degree lenses on a narrow fixture, you still get a far amount of wasted light with the fixture at 10 inches above the tank.
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-18-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It has options for 60, 90 and 120 degree lens options. You would suggest 60?
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    The 60 is about the best from that list, depending on how wide this fixture is

Do they have options for a combination of lenses ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not that I saw on their site. I think I can buy additional lenses and swap them out. What are you thinking ?
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on the width of the fixture, a combination of about 3/4 of the leanse at 60 degrees and 25% of them at 90.

You want a good focus of light down to the bottom, which the 60s would be close to doing for you. With the addition of some 90s you will be evening out the light and avoid a "spot light" effect within your tank.

I have found the best combination is using about 50% 40 degree lenses and about 50% 70 degree.

How wide is this fixture ?

7. Default Light fixture type /size

0 Not allowed!
    It is 8x47 they also have a 8x32 version with 99 LEDs
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest the following features in LED lighting for your 120 gallon set-up:

-Around 175 watts in total lighting ( more would be better)
    -1 to 3 watt LEDs made by a good quality manufacture like Cree or Apollo
    -A mixture of lenses, about ½ with a lower degree around 40 and the remainder about double that around 80.
    -Fully controllable fixture with a controller. By fully controllable I am referring the controllers used on the AI and Radon fixtures as examples where you can control / adjust the intensity of the different color temp LEDs sparaty as well as a built in timer.
    -About 1/3 of the LEDs with a lower color temp (10000 to 14000 K), about 1/3 in the higher or blue color spectrum (around 22000K) and the remainder actinic LEDs.

This would give you the flexibility to keep anything you wanted in your reef set-up