· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How can I gradually drop my ph?

0 Not allowed!
    Alright guys, I have another set of questions for you all regarding ph levels

Firstly, you should know I have an overstocked 30 gallon community.
    According to what i found on the internet, the ideal temperature to keep all my fish happy is 26C (or 78.8F) - my tank is currently 25.5C, which I'm happy with. at one stage it was even close to 30C a few months ago and the fish seemed fine.

Although my temperature is alright, I have a ph level of 8.2 (tap water here is around 7.5)
    According to what I have read, 8.2 is too high for all of my fish. Apparently my kuhli loach should be in a max ph of 6.5, but my kuhli's seem to be healthy and happy and growing...

How well researched in the ideal requirements you find on the net? how do you think they found that out? from years of keeping fish and recording the temps and ph ranges the fish finally died at? or by testing their natural waters during different seasons?

I'm not sure what I should be doing to bring down my ph, or if I even should start mucking around with it and stress the fish, they all seem fine :/

also tested the 30 gallon for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates for the first time ever. Ammonia somewhere between 0 - 0.25, Nitrites at 0 and Nitrates between 0 and 5... I was surprised at these numbers because my tank was only running on a sponge sponge filter until two weeks ago.

Ideally, I would like a long term solution to bring down my ph, something that I can add to the tank and over a period of months have the ph drop?

1 Not allowed!
    Enviromental information for fish usually starts by recording the circumstances in which it lives in the wild. Eventually captive bred data will show up.

If the PH is higher than the tap water it is worth investigating hardness as well. Likely the tank water is also harder. This is almost always caused by rocks or substrates leaking calcium.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do have a lot of rocks in the tank.

Is there a solution without removing rocks?

- inb4 water changes

PS. I also tested my 8 gal which is packed with 40 odd guppies and a algae/moss carpet and ammonia was 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 0.. I dont understand, I though with all the food collecting in the pebbles at the bottom that there would be some high readings, atleast something... but its apparently looking good?
    Last edited by philthy; 01-18-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: PS.

0 Not allowed!
    Algae and moss can absorb a lot of nitrates but in this case... did you violently shake your test bottle.

No, not really a solution you can test the rocks to see if they're the issue and you can replace them. You can start using part RO water.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I guess you could say I shook it violently :P should I not?

what if I gradually introduced a more acidic water each time I do a water change, using those ph down drops?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No you're supposed to shake both bottle 2 and the vile. (Learned that the hard way). My tap water is very hard, and ph is 8.4. I have mollies, a gourami, danios, and corys, and they all seem fine. I am going to start intruding part RO water soon, but I don't think I really NEED to. It is more important to make sure your PH is stable and doesn't fluctuate.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't understand this. I'ts very easy to test rocks with vinegar and aquarium safe river pebbles are cheap enough

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So regardless I need to reduce my pH level.

My aim is 6.8 - 7.0pH as suggested to keep all my fish happy.
    I'll probably do It over a few weeks of water changes

How much can I change the pH before I stress the fish?

and How often can I make the change?

0 Not allowed!
    If the pH of your tap water is stable at 7.5, and you tank seams to be stable at 8.2, then you need to find the cause of increasing pH as talldutchie has already suggested and remove the cause. A potential pH swing of 1.3 (between 7.5 and 8.2) is creditability large and typically fetal to most fish

Test you rocks to see if that is increasing your pH

What type of substrate do you have ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using Eco-complete and regular gravel.

what do you mean test my rocks?
    put them in ice cream containers and see if they change the ph of the water?