· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIF and here's to over coming difficulties! :-) - Taurus   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to have you back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh no! I'm sorry Mandy. =/ This is horrible news. You were doing so well with those angels and everyone was happy and healthy. Rest assured that it was not your fault. Had you known something was wrong with the water, I'm certain you wouldn't have made the water change you did, so don't beat yourself up over it.

Poor guys...

I'm not sure if it's in your budget or if you even want to consider it, but you might want to think about adding a whole home filter to your house. You can get a $500 Big Blue system that'll filter using carbon, activated alumina and polypropylene to filter sediment, chlorine, chloramines & fluoride. They last about 6 months, based on your water use and the replacement filters aren't too bad. The most expensive is the fluoride filter, but you may not even need that.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

If you don't do it, who's going to?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You made the right call. In memory of the one who didn't make it. - Strider199   To help you find your puffers - KingFisher   ...a replacement puffer for you. (Couldn't find a dinosaur!) - ~firefly~   chocolate makes everything better.  GL beating the ich - fishmommie   It's filled with good vibes, good luck - Cliff   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyK   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MandyK   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - MandyK   

1 Not allowed!
    Hey guys. We're back.

I can't even tell you how tired this prego lady is now.

Well, we went to the pet store and bought some carbon, more Prime, and 8 gallons of distilled water. When we came back all but one loach that was in the 5 inches of water we had in the 5g had improved. They are still iffy, but they are actually swimming and not floating now.

My survivors are 6 angels, 5 kuhlis, 1 cory, 1 oto, 1 neon, and that's it. Check my sig to gauge the death toll...

So as of now I am getting everyone settled into the 10g set up for now. This obviously isn't going work for long for 6 grown angels so we really have no other option than to try the creek water. We are going to fill up the big tank with the creek water and see how that fairs. I would do something else if I could but -- we literally made $248 for this week and won't be paid again till next Friday on payday. SO -- as you can probably tell that doesn't leave much room after buying food, gas, and paying bills. Otherwise I'd just go buy 130g of water and dump it in the tank. Believe me, I would. I love my fish guys.

Anyway, I will try and update this evening on my journal thread with pics and stuff. Their fins look terrible. Thanks for all the help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    ack!, if my math is right (not counting any surviving ghost shrimp if any) you had 14 out of 45 fish survive or about a 31% survival rate.

Good luck with the rest of them. You could try the spring water. I would say (it is cruel I know) but fill that up. do your prime dose and maybe place your surviving neon in there. Remember to keep the filters wet (toss a little water in there to)
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You made the right call. In memory of the one who didn't make it. - Strider199   To help you find your puffers - KingFisher   ...a replacement puffer for you. (Couldn't find a dinosaur!) - ~firefly~   chocolate makes everything better.  GL beating the ich - fishmommie   It's filled with good vibes, good luck - Cliff   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyK   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MandyK   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - MandyK   

0 Not allowed!
    That's about the only way I know to test it myself. When we do W/C's on the 10g it's going to have to be creek water too -- I have noooo more money in the budget for this at all.

I ended up turning the filter off on the 10 because the fish are very tired. They are doing much better with it off. I'll turn it on periodically to keep the filter medium wet and of course to filter the water. Until they are a little stronger the bubbler will have to do.

My hubby (without my knowing) put some food in there with them. He said not much because I freaked a little, but he said that they ate it. I'm hoping that is a good sign though I hadn't planned on even trying to feed them till tomorrow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy, Happy new year - SeaLady   Happy Birthday Kido...better late than never :-) - Taurus   Happy belated Birthday, how come nobody knew? - steeler58   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Geez Mandy so sorry to hear about what happened and your loss of fish :(. Nothing worse than tragedy striking when your doing what is normally a good thing for your fish.

When you're ready to use your tap water again don't be afraid to double dose with Prime, I've done it when we've had water main breaks here.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIF and here's to over coming difficulties! :-) - Taurus   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to have you back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow... that's a high death toll. Again, I'm very sorry Mandy. I wish I could have been there to help you guys out. Hey, at least you only lost 1 angel... that's a big plus. I'm actually really surprised that the Oto made it. lol Tough little guy.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

If you don't do it, who's going to?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone.

I'm sorry I didn't get to update my journal like I had previously stated. I am still going to do this.

The creek water has been tested and seems to be safe. My little neon did well in it for about an hour before I changed him back over to the 10g.

So now my hubby is outside with huge water tanks pumping water out of the creek to bring up. Assuming that I have time tonight I will give a detailed account of all that went down. If not tonight then in a day or two.

Later guys!

PS -- all survivors are still ssurvivors. :) This thing wiped out 3 entire schools of fish -- but at least most of my angels are okay

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Keep up posted. glad there were no more casualties.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For working on getting that 75G right! - Slaphppy7   Nice job on the stand, congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You said you added prime when you did the change, so I would tend to think this IS related to the chemical spill or something of that nature.... kind of scary really. Before long it'll be safer to drink from your tank than the tap!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234