· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

3 Not allowed!
    What I'm getting at, is that after the initial powerful injection of Chlorine, it will dissapate after everybody turns their faucet's on. Living where you do you may have a "dead end" where the Chlorine could have been trapped and lingerd longer. Turn on all of your faucets for about five minutes this should get any remaining Chlorine out of your system.

I hope this helps (if this was the case), I was in charge of the Tribes water/sewer system for 11 years.

You should be fine following this procedure but please contact the local public works to see if they are done and if thats what they did.

Again sorry for your fish.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    um it would depend on the spring water, don't know if it is contaminated with runoff or other chems. unless you are talking some remote mountain spring
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if it is or not. We live RIGHT on the Ohio river, but the water comes out of the side of a hill here.

Also -- I have showered this morning and everything. We use our water very regularly. I'm guessing they are running chemicals often because there have been SO many breaks in this area. I mean it's been off and on for two weeks now because of the breaks.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    If you collected it from the source it would probably be fine to drink but maybe not for your fish to be used to. Extra minerals from the springs may cause havoc on the already stressed fish. It may be safe but it is yet another unknown. I would recommend what steeler said. That or filtered water. Another thing you could do would do double does of declorinatior from the tap if you had something like a brita or pure filter hooked up to the tap. sort of do a funnel effect from the tap to buckets. (would be cheaper than buying filtered water from the store)
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

0 Not allowed!
    We are def buying water to put in the 10g for the survivors. I just didn't know if I could fill up the big one in the mean time with creek water to see if that would work eventually. Who knows when the water will be back to normal.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK View Post
    We are def buying water to put in the 10g for the survivors. I just didn't know if I could fill up the big one in the mean time with creek water to see if that would work eventually. Who knows when the water will be back to normal.
    The thing is the creek water will be full of bacteria that are dormant and as soon as you warm the water they will "come alive" for lack of a better word and could affect your fish.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

1 Not allowed!
    Hey Lee,
    It may or may not be feasible for Mandy, but maybe she and hubby could boil the creek water before adding to the tank, to rid it of any nasties?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    that would probably work for small changes. But imagine how long it would take to gather, transport, boil, and cool that much water. Not to mention gas/electricity/propane/etc used for the heating. It would probably be doable for the smaller tanks but that big one maybe not.

but that may work for the tap water...
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

1 Not allowed!
    If a chlorine treatment is what contaminated the water, then Prime should have looked after it.

I had my house piping flushed with chlorine when I was selling it - even after flushing the pipes for five minutes after, AND running the house for a week after that...when I did a water change I lost all my columbian tetras...and everyone else was looking poorly. I rushed to add prime - and I lost nothing else. The unhappy fish recovered. Prime kicks in almost instantly...the Angels should have recovered if you had enough Prime to treat the tank.

And if that's all that's wrong with the water, if you have some large buckets or bottles - you can fill those with tap water and dose them with Prime, letting them sit treated...and you do your water changes with those so you will be adding already treated and hopefully safe water to the tank.

Sorry for what happened, I know exactly how you feel to be doing a water change which is supposed to be good, then all of a sudden see all hell break lose...awful feeling.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 01-17-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    I am so sorry for what you and your fish are going thru. Are you sure your creek water is safe from the spill runoff?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"