· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Philthy's Fishtanks

0 Not allowed!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MOOOOORNIIING VIETNAAAAAAM

Philthy Fishtanks, First entry on a Friday

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Philthy Fishtanks, First entry on a Friday.

I have 6 tanks at the moment, one of which is divided into three seperate bodies of water so Its a bit trickier.
    This blog is going to focus on my 30 gallon community tank, and my new 20 gallon tank, and I'll update my other tanks through videos or something.

I'm going to start out by going through everything leading up to up, Ive found a bunch of pictures from various times.

So the 30 gallon and 20 gallon tanks have been with the family for longer than I have, I'm 19 years old. My old man used to breed guppies probably 30 years ago now, and when I was younger we only ever had goldfish in the 30 gallon, and I didnt even know we had another tank. It was an unkept mess, somehow the fish survived until we eventually moved them outside to a pond. the tank went into the garage stayed there for years.

I can't remember why I started keeping fish again, but for some reason my friend offered me a 15 gallon tank and 6 months later I pulled the 30 gallon out of the garage.
    At this point there was a bit of an fish-pocalypse after a few months of me ignoring the fishtanks so the 30 gallon was my answer to it. I would set up the 30 gallon and save the fish by moving them to it. Again - I'm not sure what I was thinking.

I bought some nutritious substrate which I capped with gravel we had already, added some wood from the pond and 15 gallon tank, didnt cycle the tank but I guess taking the wood from another tank was enough that I got lucky. Simple sponge filter, a few plants that I could afford and a few rocks and a glass bottle that I dug up at work. One thing I noticed was that I did'nt have a light on top, I'm not sure what I was thinking. :S

These are the earliest pictures I have of the 30 gallon set up.

Attachment 31797
    Attachment 31798

It was maybe a few days to a week later until I bought a light, added a nice blue pebble path :p

Attachment 31799

another few days to a week later I bought a couple more plants and moved all my fish into the tank. It's interesting to see how small my fish were compared to now.

Attachment 31800
    Attachment 31801

To Be Continued...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!

What I estimate to be a few weeks to a month later everything was growing nicely, java fern on the hollow log looking better, the Hygophila Corymboa on the left hand side looking great, added some Asian Ambulia and in the middle along with that Piece of wood. I found that in my mates garden, turns out its a dead bonsai, he laughed at me for getting excited about it and he let me keep it aha, took so long to sink, you can see the rock helping to hold it down. Added the second piece of wood on the left, Found it near a lake. you can see I've taken out the path at this point, re arranged some things and also added some java moss around the place.

Attachment 31802

Not too long after that I had added some guppies that I had breed in my 15 gallon tank and trimmed some plants, you can see the bonsai slowly falling as it sinks.

Attachment 31803

And then I didnt take pictures for a few months, this next picture is pretty recent, but a lot happened in those few months. I screwed up with my Hygrophila, I tried trimming the top of the plant to see if it would throw new stems from the bottom as I planned to keep trimming the top, ofcourse I got lazy and let it reach the surface, it went crazy throwing new shoots at the top because it had so much light, and then in turn threw out a lot of roots from the top. It sort of looked cool, like a mangrove effect. eventually I chopped it out and replanted it which you can see in the picture.

The Java fern on the hollow log has grown a lot. The Asian Ambulia I planted in the middle took over and I was trimming it every second day so I decided to take it out. I wanted to replant it with some ludwigia I had growing, which was quite long. Instead of planting trimmings and waiting for it to grow that way, I just pulled the plant over on its side and anchored it to the bottom. The problem was there was no flow down that side of the tank and it was exposed to sunlight from the glass door and grew a heap of green hair-like algae. I added a black background to the tank to hellp solve the problem, I also upgraded my light to a double globe. My Ludwigia was looking pretty horrid but since I bought the new light a week or two ago it's looking better with new growth all over.

I have these fern things (hopefully somebody can identify for me) growing big on the right hand side, I plan on taking these out later on. the bonsai log had fallen over completely, and I think I re arranged things slightly. At some point I took out a pile of guppies but theres still maybe a dozen left. My old man came over on holiday and bought me 4 more angels, 2 clown loaches, 4 kuhli loaches and 2 bristlenose catfish - all of them juveniles, everything except the bristlenose went into the 30 gallon.

Now its a bit over stocked, I know I'm going to have to take back some fish, but I'm going to postpone that by setting up another aquarium so It's not as crowded. So out comes the 20 gallon from the shed, Its still full of gravel and has been collecting dust and dead insects for atleast 12 years, we added water to the tank and it went brown, luckily it only took a couple hours to have it all cleaned up but unfortunately there were quite a few scratches on the glass to begin with.

Attachment 31804
    Attachment 31805

Since that picture, and now in the present, I have added an Aquaclear 70 filter to the 30 gallon tank, hopefully this buys me a little bit more time before I can move some fish from the 30 gallon into the 20 gallon. The waters looking clearer and the plants are looking a lot better with the new light & background, now I'm just waiting for the plants to grow and spread.

I bought a pile of stuff for the 20 gallon, spent hours cleaning this fine black gravel. I layed the bottom of the tank with laterite and a thick layer of fine gravel on top. I havnt used laterite or a fine gravel before so It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I also layed a thicker base than In any of my other tanks so the plants have more root space. The new 20gallon tank was set up yesterday, Aquaclear 50 filter, el cheapo heater and the old light from my 30gallon. few bits of drift wood, gonna plant some Hygrophila Corymbosa, Willow hygro, Jungle Vals, Asian Ambulia, amazon swords and crypts. In the long run I plan on having a school of tetras and a bunch of corys in the 20 gallon.

Attachment 31806

and this is where I'm at today, tank cycling, 30 gallon on the mend.
    A little video for ya;

Thanks for reading, If you did :p

1 Not allowed!
    Your photo's do not show

Perhaps you could try to repost them. The below might help

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=112860

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=112300
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For some reason the photos didnt work, although they showed when I first posted this, aaand I cant edit my posts for some reason so here are the photos in order;

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

-- Read next point :p --

full.jpg

-----------------------

full cropped.JPG

left.jpg

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Those tanks are just BEGGING for dark backgrounds, but they look great so far!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh so now I can edit my new post but not the old ones? aha
    Hopefully a mod could just switch around the photos for me and fix it all up, would be awesome!

starting from the second page;

full.jpg

---------------------------------

full.jpg

---------------------------------

full.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

-----------------------------------

IMG_0709.jpg

finito

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Those tanks are just BEGGING for dark backgrounds, but they look great so far!
    hahaha I got onto it eventually

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    You sure did...great looking set-up
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Helloooooooooooooooooo

I've started keeping maintenance journals of each of my tanks, I think it might be helpful in future when im a billionaire and build a massive pond/aquarium/jungle/mansion.

The 30 gallon (which is the top tank) is looking a bit better. started dosing excel everyday in an effort to remove some algae from my plants and it looks like its starting to have some effect. I've just cut down the time my lights are on for a few of my tanks too, apparently I had them going for ridiculously longer than anyone else here aha. Probably a big contributer to the algae problems in my tanks. I have left two tanks at the original time because I cant reach the power point easily after moving my tanks around. But that happens to be my 15 gallon which has gotten over the algae.

I'm starting to think I should add the rest of the black gravel to the 30 gallon. does anyone see any problems with just capping the gravel I have in there now?

IMG_0721.jpg

I'm planning on selling my biggest angel fish which you see in the pic, another smaller angel, my rts, 2 clown loaches and a pile of guppies. I like the fish but I just dont have a big enough set up for them and the smaller angel is harrassing the other angels. I'll hold onto the 3 other small angels until they're bigger. I also plan on re arranging the right side of the tank, remove the big fake white rock (felt obliged to use it as it was a gift, but its been nearly a year) and put the other rocks into a bit of a pile around the base of the bonsai and I'll replant the whole side.

The 20 gallon is looking good, have added my second dose of ammonia to the water so far, still gonna be a long wait for that, I think the first thing I'll add after the cycle is some cherry shrimp from my 15 gallon. I'm not entirely sure what I want to stock the tanks with but I dont want to get many more fish that will grow out the tank after a year.

tl;dr Tanks are lookin better.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaadios