· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default platy aren't breeding!!!!!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    is this planet earth?
    i have 3 platy (2 females, and 1 male)
    i have had them for over 2 weeks in a 10 gallon.
    they have not bred yet!!.
    one in a day or two i see the male attempt to breed but females either just swim away and the male doesn't follow or nip him and he doesn't try any more.
    the females are slightly bigger then the male but that is suppose to be normal.
    what the heck is going on?
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    What is your tank's temperature?

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I had a transporter, as seen in Star Trek...I'd trade tanks with you
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    two weeks? I'd give them some more time - your females may just not be settled enough yet in the tank to feel comfortable breeding. And it could be that the females are already pregnant. Wait another month before you decide they aren't breeding.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    If platy are anything like my mollies they breed every 50-60 days or so between giving birth to fry. So patient young grasshopper they may already be pregnant but just not showing yet. As I doubt you got a cam on there 24/7. That or as someone else mentioned they may need more time to get acclimated to the tank.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    And it could be that the females are already pregnant.
    Precisely...we bought 2 females, for we wanted no fry...we have 10 fry and adults, and counting
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    One female has been there for 2-3 months the other for a month but the male has been there for two weeks. They might be pregnant but it doesn't look like it. The last time I had males and females 24/7 the name would chase around the females.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    make sure you have places your fry can hide to avoid the parents eating them

I've never kept platys but if they're like guppies than they probably wont survive long without somewhere to hide from the adults

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    that is true for any livebearers really. I think I may have done to good a job with the mollies in hiding spots because I am starting to get over run with fry, they out number the adults at least 2:1
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Any other fish in the tank? May platies seem like they don't breed because the fry rarely survive for long before getting hunted down and eaten.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails