· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Eheim canister - order of media

0 Not allowed!
    The owners manual that came with my 2217 recommends stacking the media as:
    coarse mechanical media > bio media > fine mechanical pad > carbon

My question is: can I stack it differently? To my mind, the fine filter pad (and/or floss) should come after the coarse media, but before the bio media, not after. My reasoning being that putting the bio media earlier in the stack would get it muckier quicker (ie. it would double as mechanical media), meaning I'd have to scrub it, meaning I'm tampering with my BB more often.

2 Not allowed!
    yup, you can put them in any order you want. But you don't need to scrub bio-media - I just rinse mine, and if you are doing it in old tank water or well water you are not risking your BB at all.

I personally had a sponge on either end, just to keep loose chunks of broken media rock from getting loose. But my bio-media is before the fine filter stage. I hate replacing the fine stuff any more often than I need to.
    Also, you can ditch the carbon entirely. Carbon is only really useful for removing meds and such...many people including myself habitually run filters without carbon.

3 Not allowed!
    Generally agree with sheamurai except on one point; in the eheim manual, it states that the coarse mechanical media serves to even out the strong but concentrated water flow that comes into the filter. Thus, that should be put in at the very bottom. The rest can stacked in most any order with minimal difference in regards to filter efficiency.
    I think that the eheim arrangement is more due to ease of cleaning. I too own a 2217, and the fine media clogs the fastest. A position higher up would result in you not having to dig through a pile of little ceramic balls to find and clean it.
    Last edited by madagascariensis; 01-17-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    My Eheim is stacked thusly, from bottom to top:

Mechanical Media (ceramic)
    Coarse sponge
    Bio media, stuffed as full as I could manage, in mesh bags (ceramic)
    Fine sponge

It has worked flawlessly so far
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Important to remember that in the 22xx series water starts at the bottom.

Mine has from bottom to top

ceramic pipes to catch the worst dirt
    sponge
    load of bio media
    another sponge
    filter floss.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks folks. I will experiment over time to see what order works best. Will keep the heavy mechanical 'pipes' bits at the bottom to even out the flow, and will see how fast the fine pad clogs in various locations, and also keep an eye on how messy the bio media gets. I like the flexibility a canister seems to afford its owner, coming from a basic cartridge based HOB years ago, this is great.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah, the Eheim canisters are superb, IMO

0 Not allowed!
    Main reason for floss on top is that it's quick to replace

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    What is the function of the floss?

0 Not allowed!
    It's also known as the fine filter media, the whitish fluffy stuff.
    It traps the smallest particles that have made it past the other medias.