· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this crazy?

Default Is this crazy?

0 Not allowed!
    I have been tossing around the idea of making my home office more of a traditional fish room which would include having multiple 75G tanks. I would buy 3 iron stands capable of holding 2 75s each so I could have up to 6 going. I have given up on being able to source any tank over 6ft locally. Checked Petsmart, and tried to order an aquarium from a LFS 2 hours away for the last 6 months to no avail. I could order acrylic online...however with cichlids know it would be very beat up looking in a short time.

This has also given me the opportunity to really contemplate species I want to keep. Which I have learned harbor too many incompatibilities for a single large tank. Sourcing 75G tanks is no issue...local Petsmart carries them daily. They also are a size which the SO and I could manage to move alone. So if/when we move in the future leaving a tank behind will not have to happen. Which that is a good perk...

Now the question which I would like to ask for some feedback from all of you other fish nuts. Would you given my situation...give up on having a 6ft tank(probably around 180G) for multiple 75Gs?
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    That depends. Would the 6 75g tanks be enough to properly house ALL the species you want or would you be settling. I know you well enough to know that if you don't have the fish you want it will gnaw at you until you find a way to get them. If it were me, and I know you and I think very similarly in this matter, I would definitely do the fish room but, save some room for that 6ft tank. You will not be happy until you have it. I know you aren't a DIY'er but maybe consider building your own, or find a glazier who can do it for you. It may cost more but I think you will be happier in the long run if you wait for that 6ft.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    The Generall rule of thumb is. If you need to ask then yes it is carzy!

However in this case I do not think it is. Sounds like a good plan to me. Keeping cichlids in one tank can be hard. My first goal would be to keep the large tank and get the 75s. However, if that is not an option than I would give up the larger tank for several 75s
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to have a single 75 gallon. I know my lfs can get up to a 210 gallon. He actually has a 180 gallon running in the store. although anything over 55 gallon is special order, he can usually get them in 1-2 weeks direct from Aqueon.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    My home office has about 12ft of wall space available...if this plan happened there would be no room available anywhere else for an additional tank. We have a 56G column in the living area, 55G in the bedroom, and an existing 50G in the home office.

Would I be able to keep all that I wanted in this plan? Probably not everything...but close. My one concern is after many years of having that large display full of large fish how will it be to downsize to species setups/smaller communities. I have however spent much of this last year tankless...I am motivated to get things rolling this year now that the house is ready.

I will also admit I am motivated by the fact that Jeff Rapps has A.orbicularis back in stock
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    oohh I could fill 50 tanks from Rapps. He has a lot of nice stuff.

A nice display tank is nice but smaller tanks with established pairs is great as well. I think I prefer it. I used to do managuensis and other decent sized species on 75 gallons tank. It works if they are paired.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Jeff Rapps has A.orbicularis back in stock
    Ha! I saw this yesterday and thought of you.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Your idea does sound like a good one, provided you are not settling.

Don't let your time spent almost tankless influence what you want long term
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ive spent the last month engorged in tank projects, so my initial "must have now!" is calmed down. Ive sat up a 20G high in my office at work and a 50G at home...both high tech planted with pressurized CO2 and moderate light. Needless to say Ive been busy. Still have a 55G to get going as well.

I have thought of what I want and I can honestly see myself content with either setup situation. I do want another A.orbicularis, male Rotkeil, Synispillum, Red Texas, Green Terror, Salvini, Thorichthys, Chocolate Cichlid, and perhaps something from the Parachromis family.

Needless to say a single tank couldn't handle all of those in one space. Primarily just regaining fav fish from the last 10 years in fish keeping.

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking with the variety you want to keep, you should go ahead with the mulitple 75s...the biggest reason for mts is the desire to keep multiple species...if you had just a couple favourites I would say stick with the 6ft tank (I can't believe you are having such a hard time getting one) but with so many favourites, I think if you go with one tank you would still think of and miss the fish you don't have...

but on the other hand, how the heck would you get any work done in an office with multiple tanks???