· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default i am so disgusted...

0 Not allowed!
    call me crazy... or a softie... but... i believe as an early childhood teacher.. it's my job to teach children compassion and respect for living things. I understand they need to explore and experience and investigate but...

I've been gone for a week at a head start conference in Seattle. Today i come back to work, no children because it's a workday, so my aide tells me the classroom next to ours bought a ton of feeder goldfish and poured them into their water table and let the children do whatever they wanted to them. Poring with cups, handling and that at the end of the day many fish weren't making it. My Aide went in and took all of the fish from the table and another teacher took them home. I can not believe that anyone would think this was a good idea, feeder goldfish or not. How inhumane. totally disgusted... what in the world...

0 Not allowed!
    so the teacher was like lets go buy 10 goldfish and let the kids kill them, sounds good.
    some just plain out stupid people out there.
    if you put a goldfish in a bowl you don't know your doing something wrong and i think that is just a lack of knowledge about fish but knowing that the fish are GOING to most likely die and going ahead with it is just stupid
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    I need more info. What is this water table you speak of? And what does "letting the children do whatever they want to them" mean? Poring with cups? Handling? Handling how? Picking up w/ their hands and holding them?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Little kids get a big table like a kiddie pool of a few inches of water to play in, it was a pre-K thing when I remember doing it

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh, ok. You kids are spoiled these days... I didn't get anything fun like that. Of course, teachers were probably more responsible back then and understood that kids did stupid things. lol

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it's a waist high table that holds water. They were talking about camping and somehow the idea of filling it with fish to be handled by 3-5 yr olds seemed "fun". I might have lost my job if I was there. She had a dieing fish swimming around from yesterday in her room this afternoon waiting to be fed to her turtle. I'm guessing she figured if they died her turtle would eat them and they were cheap. I just can't believe it..

0 Not allowed!
    Like I always say, "some people are just born stupid.."
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    downright apalling. such a blatant disregard of life in the face of the most impressionable in society.
    ...but then maybe we don't really have the right to complain anyways, at least those of us who enjoy the consumption of animal products
    in the knowledge of how they are treated.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In Australia we have a big problem with Cane Toads. They're an introduced species, They're a pest, and theyre and are slowly spreading east to west. They're not only out competing native species for food, but also kill a lot of native species with its poisonous secretions. I live in the south west and cane toads have started showing up in the north west. When I used to go and stay at my Nana's house in QLD her backyard would be full of them nearly every night. Me and my dad killed atleast 50 without leaving her backyard. There was a lot of green tree frogs too but obviously we didnt harm any of those.

A similar thing is happening in the Swan River and many other places. mosquito fish, or feeder fish as their also known were introduced to the waterways, and are now out-breeding the native fish species. If she was intending to feed the fish to her turtle anyway, than I dont see a huge problem with it as long as theres some supervision to prevent kids squishing the fish intentionally or eating them or something silly than why not? I bet the kids had a good time.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see a problem with it, if there is responsible supervision and they're actually being taught something. It's fun to see fish swimming around in a tank, etc... and all kids that age want to touch them, but they should be taught about the dos/don'ts of fish keeping, or at least be taught about how a fish lives in water, or learn how to feed them, etc. Something like that... There are fun/interesting ways to teach kids about fish, without them tormenting them. I just don't see the reward/benefit of this exercise, unless it was just supposed to be a fun activity to keep the kids busy, so that they didn't actually have to teach anything and actually have a learning experience.

Mada is right, that is a very impressionable age for children, and care should be taken to show them the right way to do things and how to treat animals (any kind of animal, really). My daughter is 3yrs old and she'll come over to watch me take care of the fish. I'll engage in conversation with her and ask her what she thinks of the fish, etc. She's interested, but she definitely wants to get more involved, rather than just watch. Feed/touch/tap on the glass... I'm waiting until she's 4yrs old, to start letting her get a bit more involved. I'd love to share my love for fish keeping with her, but I don't think she's ready yet.