· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default Dwarf Water Lettuce

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, kids. A couple questions for anyone with experience with/knowledge about this plant. The biggest is, what are its light requirements? Can it grow under normal room light? I am thinking about adding it to the open part of my tank, where it would pick up little or no light from my cf's.

How does it hold up to nibblers? I have a gourami who likes to graze (and has just about wiped out my ambulia), and I eventually might put some water lettuce in with my goldfish, if it can stand up them.

Anything else I need to know? I really want to get some of this to provide better habitat and suck up some excess nitrates, but want to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks!

Tom
    Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I have the same questions about regular (not dwarf) water lettuce. Gracias!

T
    Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   good luck with the cycle! - wolf_eyes   might as well get  some  now  ...you'll have  it  soon enough  lol - bushwhacker   have a gift! - Agassizii   yay, time to add fish! - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, adding to this thread since it's pertinent to my situation, even though it never got an answer it looks like lol...I have a shrimp tank, that I decided to get some floating plants for to help control nitrates. I started with a water lettuce plant. At the time, the water level was really low. probably about 8 inches from the top of the aquarium. It was an open top aquarium, and evaporation was just crazy, and I haven't touched it for a while. Anyhow, I introduced the water lettuce and it did well. growing long roots, nice healthy color. Then I decided to give the aquarium a cover, and fill it to near the top. I noticed the lettuce started to fold down and get yellowish/brown on the tips. Looks like it's not doing well. I am wondering, if the fluorescent lights, now that they are really close, could they be burning the leaves? I have since taken the lettuce out and put it in a plastic container with a LED light. I actually gave it this one that I had laying around that I used for seedlings before :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So my questions are, was I hurting the plant by raising it to a few inches of the fluorescent light?

Is the placement of the LED lamp above the lettuce a good idea? If so, how many hours should I have it run over the lettuce? I would place it outside in a bucket of water to grow with natural light and propogate, but our nights are still cool, and I don't want to subject it to that until it warms up more here.

Thanks!!
    55G Community tank, in progress
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :
    Harlequin Rasboras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Cory cats,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   good luck with the cycle! - wolf_eyes   might as well get  some  now  ...you'll have  it  soon enough  lol - bushwhacker   have a gift! - Agassizii   yay, time to add fish! - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    I just decided to raise the lighting up about 6 inches, should be less harsh then I think?
    55G Community tank, in progress
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :
    Harlequin Rasboras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Cory cats,