· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    A Bristlenose pleco is not a 10 inch fish. And I never said it was ideal.
    But why do it if it's not ideal? They live a very long time and should be housed according to their needs.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was illustrating a point. I suppose to house it temporarily as a juvenile would be ok, but it's really not good for an adult fish to be so cramped. It won't die (assuming good conditions, which would be hard to maintain in a 10g), but people here argue all the time about "quality of life." We don't really know if the fish cares, but I assume more room is better overall.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey I'm not really a total newbie to aquariums, but this is the first time I really want to make this tank work. a year or so ago I was given a tank of cichlids (African), they lasted close to 6 months;my first time Id ever seen a cichlid, or so I thought.now I'm working with a 75 gl that is housing what is left of my 25 gl; a bonded pair of Convicts and a Featherfin catfish. Odin the cat is a very dominate but is at peace with George and Gracie; I would love for them to clutch/spawn(?) but idk if it will occur. What I am trying to figure out is what would fit in with these estb' roommates?

1 Not allowed!
    Featherfins, please start your own to ask you questions
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advise everyone. You are all very helpful. I'd really like the pleco, but they do make a lot of waste. My house is small, so as much as I would like to, I probably won't be getting a tank bigger than 10 gal. I've considered adding a couple of Endler's Guppies and some ghost shrimp. Meanwhile, I finally have everything for my Betta tank and I'll be setting it up this week. I'm so excited! I'll post some pictures when it's done, but it's going to be very simple. Does anyone know where I can buy silk plants for a 5.5 gal Betta tank? Petsmart has very little to choose from and I'm going to have to clip two of the plants I bought because they are too tall for my tank.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Is 5.5 gallons really big enough for a betta? Is there any way you could house him in his own 10 gallon . I know you said space was an issue but you could have a stand for two 10's and it really wouldn't take up any more space than one ten gallon . Just a suggestion.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eltylT View Post
    Is 5.5 gallons really big enough for a betta? Is there any way you could house him in his own 10 gallon . I know you said space was an issue but you could have a stand for two 10's and it really wouldn't take up any more space than one ten gallon . Just a suggestion.
    Great suggestion. Your betta would be very happy in a 10 gal vs the 5.5.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to make do with what I already had which is the 5.5 gallon tank which wouldn't be too heavy for the entertainment center. But if I get a 10 gallon, how heavy will that be? At least getting a new tank will solve my lighting problem. The incandescent lighting on the hood of the 5.5 is no longer good. It still didn't work after changing the bulb, I think the wiring went bad. Ended up removing the light unit from the hood altogether. I could still use the 5.5 for a hospital tank.

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    A 10 gallon would be somewhere close to 100 pounds with water, decor, ect. A well built, wooden entertainment center could handle it. I know a 10 gallon can look pretty empty with just a betta in it. You might be able to get away with a school of small, peaceful, schooling fish. That really depends of if the Betta is aggressive or not.
    I have more (and better) conversations with fish, dogs, and myself than I do with actual people.
    Myself, the fish, and the dogs all agree.

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If I'm not mistaken you can get silk plants at Wal-Mart, Big Lots , Kmart , and maybe even the local Goodwill. At least that's where I've seeen them where I live. Hope that helps.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.