· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Possible Compatibility Issue

0 Not allowed!
    I'm currently cycling my 55 gallon aquarium, and am planning the gradual additions of fish to it.

I currently have five peppered cory catfish in a 10-gallon tank. My plan is to, after completely cycling, add those five, and after they get comfortable with their new environment (which I assume will take one to two weeks) I'll add 10 more peppered cory catfish. If Petsmart (yes, I go to Petsmart, my LFS is about 20 minutes away, and I'm pretty sure with all the bumps and vibrations along the way back, all of my new fish will either die or be severely stressed for a while).

After that, I plan to add one (most likely albino) bristlenose plecostomus. I don't have experience with plecos other than the one I've owned in the past which was in my 10-gallon sadly (killed it because it was a common pleco, which I believe grows to be 24 inches), but I'm pretty sure I can manage. After researching, I read that most plecos prefer fresh greens over sinking algae wafers, however I do have some wafer in stock under my setup just in case I may run out of veggies. Fresh greens includes cucumber and zucchini, right? That's what I always see aquarium owners feeding their plecos. But could I also feed them lettuce or cabbage?

And also, for otos. I plan to add a few, about three or four. I've owned two of them in the past, and both died before I could find out what the cause was. Otocinclus catfish seem to be very delicate and die before the owner can assume the cause. I even fed them fresh slices of blanched cucumber, never wafers. I regularly tested the water quality with my API master test kit, and everything. I'm not sure what happened.

Overall and in the end, I'll likely have:
    - 15 Peppered Cory Catfish
    - 1 Bristlenose Plecostomus
    - 4 Otocinclus

2 Not allowed!
    I do not see any reason that shouldnt work as long as you feed the bristlenose and otos extra greens.

I would consider adding some fish that live higher up in the water column to that stocking.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I do not see any reason that shouldnt work as long as you feed the bristlenose and otos extra greens.

I would consider adding some fish that live higher up in the water column to that stocking.
    Adding top swimmers such as tetras? I was also thinking that, but what if I were to add some white cloud minnows? Those are sold fairly cheap, like a dollar plus 30 cents each. Would that be a reasonable choice to add? I've seen them at Petsmart before, and I actually like them better than neon or green tetras.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    White cloud mountain minnows are a neat fish. They prefer water temperatures a little lower then other tropical fish. I have kept them in the past in a community tank which was at 72 degrees.
    A 20 minute trip really shouldn't stress out your fish all that much. I have travelled over an hour with saltwater fish and they made it just fine. I bring along a small flexible cooler lined with a towel for them to ride in so they wont roll around too much.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    White cloud mountain minnows are a neat fish. They prefer water temperatures a little lower then other tropical fish. I have kept them in the past in a community tank which was at 72 degrees.
    A 20 minute trip really shouldn't stress out your fish all that much. I have travelled over an hour with saltwater fish and they made it just fine. I bring along a small flexible cooler lined with a towel for them to ride in so they wont roll around too much.
    That's what I read, that they need to be in a little bit cooler water. I'm pretty sure that the cory cats and plecostomus can withstand 72 degrees Fahrenheit, correct?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    + 1 to strider and his advice on transporting fish in the manner he descriped. I've brought fish from Reno home this way and that is a four trip.

Some tetras for the upper region that I would suggest would be, Black neons, Head and tail lights or Harlequin rasboras that are not tetras but have very similer requirements.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFishObsession View Post
    That's what I read, that they need to be in a little bit cooler water. I'm pretty sure that the cory cats and plecostomus can withstand 72 degrees Fahrenheit, correct?
    Cory's can live in 72 degree waters but I'm not sure about pleco's.
    Planetcatfish has alot of info on plecos and cory's so you could look up your particular species.
    That said, I like steeler1's suggestions for your top dwellers. All within temperature and temperament range.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    I keep White Cloud Mountain minnows at roughly 75 degrees, and they are splendid. They are very hardy, and tolerate much higher temperatures but beyond 78 degrees they don't reach full potential.
    However, I would not consider them a top dweller. If the surface of your tank is covered with aquatic plants, they may be inclined to spend most of their time in the upper third, but otherwise consider them mid dwellers.
    Fish that I've found spend more time in the upper half of the tank include danios, guppies and hatchetfish.

0 Not allowed!
    White cloud mountain minnows do tolerate higher temperature but it will reduce their lifespan. I would not choose them for this setup since there are plenty of cheap species that do better in tropical water. Examples include danios and tetras.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    White cloud mountain minnows do tolerate higher temperature but it will reduce their lifespan. I would not choose them for this setup since there are plenty of cheap species that do better in tropical water. Examples include danios and tetras.
    Tetras are moderately hardy, correct? They're not a delicate as other fish, but not as hardy as cory cats. If so, then I'll be looking into getting some neon tetras for my tank.

Thanks for the information, everyone. I appreciate it.