· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation what the heck is that

0 Not allowed!
    hello,
    while i was doing a water change i noticed a red growth on my ram's "tail".
    i will get pics up in a minute.
    he is acting normal and no other fish has it.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    It almost looks like a tare Vafa.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    like a cut or wound?
    i dosed some prime if it is that

2 Not allowed!
    Vafa, prime is a water conditioner, not a medication

I would suggest a lot of extra water changes for now to help your fish heal up. Some daily or every second day 50 to 75% water changes will help your fish a lot. Meds may not be required
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    i dosed prime because it provides the slime coat which will protect the wounds a bit but it is not a substitute for water changes, i know that.
    could it be anything else, just want to be sure

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    I google the issue and the two things that come up are; ammonia in tank may cause this or Hemorrhagic septicemia.
    Here is what I found on that,

Copy and paste;

Hemorrhagic septicemia is a very serious disease, and can progress quite quickly. I've never had to deal with it, but I've read it's contagious, so be prepared to quarantine your fish if necessary.
    It is mostly observed in goldfish from what I can find. I hope it's just a wound your GBR took and will heal quickly. As Cliff said, water changes really help with fin wounds on fish so they don't turn into a fungus infection.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    IMO, do lot of water changes as Cliff said... Do a 75 % water change initially, Followed by daily 50% water change for few days. No Medication required. Keep the water temperature constant & warm and don't forget water conditioner when you do a water change. Do not overfeed to keep the ammonia in control and remove any uneaten food. Also, do shipon the gravel if possible. All this will keep the water clear and healthy in turn y
    our fish will be healthy.

Your fish will recover soon. IMO It's not that bad yet, situation can be controlled. best of luck & Get well soon for your fish.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your fish has Septicemia! I found this online It explains it better than I ever could!

As with dropsy, this condition is a symptom and not a disease. The symptoms include red streaks running along the fish's body or through it's fins. The fish will probably be sluggish, and lay at the bottom with clamped fins. The anus may be swollen up as well.

This is the result of bacteria infecting the fish's digestive or circulatory system. It is often caused by dramatic temperature drops. When the temperature is cold, the fish goes into a hibernation-like state and stops digesting food. Any protiens in it's digestive tract will eventually rot and infect the fish's digestive system internally. If left untreated, this condition could lead to dropsy. Internal infection can be treated with anti-biotics.

If the underlying causes (such as temperature) are corrected, the fish should recover. Secondary infections (fin rot, ulcers, ect..) may occur while the fish is recovering because it's immune system is compromised...treat these infections as you would treat them normally.

0 Not allowed!
    Let's not jump to any conclusions. As Cliff, says - lots of very large water changes for the next week or two and see if things improve.

Don't treat with meds unless you're sure you know what you're dealing with.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~