· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    Love the pics! Looks like those shrimp had a wonderful feed! I've always wondered though...it must be difficult to do water changes with those little guys everywhere!
    Not too bad. Because I have well-planted tanks with aquasoil substrate I never vac the bottom unless I can see some debris that needs removing. My water changes are done with a measuring jug. I tend to only skim water from the top so shrimp don't tend to get in the way. The plants use up everything else.

I did move and replant this tank recently though and the shrimp were in the way all the time! This time last year I had about ten and now there must be a hundred.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

TGIF! - Compass My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue 
    TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus 
    TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus 
    Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Where did the yellow one come from?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Not too bad. Because I have well-planted tanks with aquasoil substrate I never vac the bottom unless I can see some debris that needs removing. My water changes are done with a measuring jug. I tend to only skim water from the top so shrimp don't tend to get in the way. The plants use up everything else.

I did move and replant this tank recently though and the shrimp were in the way all the time! This time last year I had about ten and now there must be a hundred.
    I think I made a mistake. I added some RCS to a community tank...no aggressive fish but nosy tetras for sure..The other mistake is I think I vacuum too much...old habits die hard. Maybe I should get a small tank for the RCS.... hmmmm... and a bigger tank just for the fun of it!!

Awards Showcase

TGIF! - Compass My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue 
    TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus 
    TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus 
    Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Now you're talking!...I can't wait to see your "for the fun of it" tank
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2 Not allowed!
    Maybe I should get a small tank for the RCS.... hmmmm... and a bigger tank just for the fun of it!!
    A few more tanks is never wrong ;-)
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Now you're talking!...I can't wait to see your "for the fun of it" tank
    It's pretty much impossible to see everyone's beautiful fish without wanting them....at least some of them!!

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Where did the yellow one come from?
    No idea. Just a random colour that has appeared. There's a green one somewhere as well, and a few completely clear, colourless ones I quite like. Original stock was cherry shrimp, rili shrimp, and I had some blue jellies but they didn't live very long unfortunately. Now they're all hybrids.

I think I made a mistake. I added some RCS to a community tank...no aggressive fish but nosy tetras for sure..The other mistake is I think I vacuum too much...old habits die hard. Maybe I should get a small tank for the RCS.... hmmmm... and a bigger tank just for the fun of it!!
    Depends entirely on the substrate you have and whether or not your tank is planted. I'd be hesitant to recommend not vaccuuming if you didn't have a planted substrate (as all other substrates should be regularly vaccuumed and/or stirred. If you vac into a bucket...just be very careful to check what you're pouring away.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Depends entirely on the substrate you have and whether or not your tank is planted. I'd be hesitant to recommend not vaccuuming if you didn't have a planted substrate (as all other substrates should be regularly vaccuumed and/or stirred. If you vac into a bucket...just be very careful to check what you're pouring away.[/QUOTE]

My 50 is newly planted...low light plants... so I figured vacuuming in the unplanted areas is still required...and I use a python (yike). I'll be extra careful when I clean around the driftwood and rocks...the RCS seem to like it in those areas. Still think I should just get them their own tank!

1 Not allowed!
    Depends on your substrate though...which is...?

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Depends on your substrate though...which is...?
    It's the marina coated gravel