· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Default Frozen Tundra's not so frozen tropical 10 gallon mini tank - the journal edition!

0 Not allowed!
    First things first... I blame all out you as a gang of enabler's in my progression in More Tank Syndrome (MTS for short) . OK now that that is out of the way on ward to awesomeness at least in my head. And among the voices in there that is all that matters!

So I decided that my kids 37 gallon tank is lonely and it needed company. Since the other side of my desk is just a hand crafted stand that I originally built for my kids late guinea pigs which also house our dogs kennel underneath, I figured it could use a face lift. Because I mean the stand itself can only give off so much style. So this afternoon I wandered down with my 5 year old down to the LFS (which also doubles as the town game store for ungodly amounts games and variations of said games) and picked my up a new 10 gallon tank. I didn't grab any other stuff today however because I want to take more time carefully considering the parts I want to use, decor, plants, and everything else than what seemed to be a rush job on the kids tank.

Tonight I did a leak test and also trimmed off some excess globs of silicon from under the top trim and gave it a general wipedown. So now the voices are trying to figure out the correct direction to go. But it is sitting on that stand I built and it will stay there. It is about 99% level on that stand so I will grab some polystyrene to place under it as well.

Some things I want for sure (largely depending on cost and ease of acquisition).

1) Will be using a HOB filter due to its location. Most likely an Aquaclear 30. I also have extra Fluval Biomax ceramic rings that I plan on using in whatever filter I get instead of the carbon.
    2) Will probably get the Aqueon Versa Top glass hood and not sure on the lights - the other option is the Marineland 20" LED hood which has both day and night effect led's - quick link - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=23542
    3) substrate - I am leaning towards sand for a more natural look - but I am not sure. The black sand does like nice but would also like something which is good for my next point
    4) plants - Would like to have a nice lush tank. Would this still work in the 10 gallon tank? http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....kage_p_62.html it is designed for a 20 gallon but not sure if I could make it work and it would just be more dense?
    5) some small pieces of driftwood possibly?

As for the living water critters that would occupy the tank I am not sure yet. I thought possibly of using it to house my molly as they get pregnant and about to pop with fry so that they can grow outside the main tank. The fry once they get to about an inch long I bag up and sell them to the LFS for store credit towards future fish stuff that we always need. I may also go along with some inverts like ghost shrimp or red cherry shrimp.

But feel free to tag along, ask the voices your questions and who knows they may even answer! I don't expect this to come together all that quickly as it will be mainly my little side project. But will do updates as I get time. Next time I am the city I will be grabbing some ammonia from ACE to do proper cycling this time, unlike my kids tank which is a fishy cycle because well we were noobs and my wife was really wanting fish in there as it was his birthday present and was getting impatient. But the tank is doing well now but still not fully done.

And as I posted in a different thread earlier - the encore debut of the victim... um I mean the tank!

2014-01-11 15.36.13.jpg
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    man I re-read that this morning, it is awful... Note to self don't make long posts while being in zombie states from lack of sleep, being sick and on meds.

But today I plan on starting to look for various pieces online to some degree. Going to see what places around here carry sand that I can get a hold of because unless any online shop is going to ship it free, I imagine a 50lb bag of sand that they usually sell it in would cost way more to ship than it would to buy it.

I also plan to go out to lowes to get some polystyrene over the next day or so to put between the tank and the stand. That stand can hold my weight very easy so I think a small 10 gallon tank would be alright.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I dont think you should get the marineland led hood. I have heard the clips are easy to break. I believe slappy had one and was not happy with it. If you get the glass versatop you will have many options for lights.

As for free shipping drfostersmith has the glass tops and a few substrate choices, and they dont charge extra to ship it. They ship free at 49 dollars. You should only need 15 to 20 pounds of substrate for a tank that size.

Good luck with the new tank.

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above, get a glass top, then like what was stated above, you can get any light you want...Big Al's is another good place to buy from...shop around for the best deals, and free shipping, of course.....http://www.bigalspets.com/fish.html?...Fa4-Mgod4EYAgQ

For your light fixture, may I suggest this?....I love mine, so many color options.....http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Sa.../dp/B00C7OTF9E
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    The top can often be cheapest if you just go to a local glad shop and ask them to cut you some.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    that is a nice light. A tad spendy though -$80 for the one that would fit a 10 gallon - which is the 18-24" model I think. but it does look nice. I may try one on the small tank and if I like it invest in a glass canopy and one for the kids 37 gallon.

I am not seeing any glass hods on Big Al's unless I am not finding it - the hood I was looking at otherwise is one of these from DrFosterSmith - both are $9.99

Marineland Glass Canopy - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...81&pcatid=3781
    Aqueon Versa Top - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...90&pcatid=3790
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Either one of those lids will work just fine...I bought the Marineland one for the 40B

You and the kids would really like that LED, well worth the price IMO...here's more: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...ater-led-plus/

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So how often do you use the various light effects? Do you use a timer with this one now or do you set it to night mode in the evenings?

Currently with the 37 gallon we have the full spectrum bulb and it is usually on from 7:30 am to 7pm. due to the depth of the tank the few plants we do have in there are thriving.
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    We play with the settings every day, lol...the "cloudy day" settings are really cool, the tank brightens and fades as if coulds are passing overhead..it does not have a timer, but I am going to get one for it....the 2 night modes (one brighter than the other) gradually brighten then fade...there's a pause button to pause this...I use the darker light mode, wait until it gets to it's darkest point, then I pause it...it stays like that the rest of the night

You can make the tank blue, red, green, orange, purple, white, and thousands of combinations of all of those...like I said we play with it alot, and I'll probably never see all of the color combinations it can produce

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I was just thinking of well the timer would work if you were wanting to use the moon effects every night. With my current bulb on the 37 it is set it and forget it since it only has one setting which is ON. with this I wish you could program the led's so that you could have daylight with random occasional weather effects and then the night effect. Now that would be the ultimate tank light.

But one other thing I decided for is I want a black background for the tank itself or maybe dark blue. My LFS sells one like that that is black on one side deep ocean blue on the other maybe that would work and I can flip it around on occasion.
    Current tanks: