Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal



Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: It's a girl!

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    12

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Red face It's a girl!


    0 Not allowed!
    Rams are very hard to find in my area, but I came across one this week and decided to take the plunge and purchase it today. She's a pretty little female, about 1.5 inches, and very active. I'm hoping she'll continue to do well in the quarantine tank and I can move her into the main tank next month.

    I've never kept rams before so I was wondering if a solitary female in a community tank (corydoras and assorted livebearers) is OK, or would she be happier with a companion?

    Also, I purchased her mainly in the hopes that she'll help control my livebearer population. Being a cichlid, she should snack on the fry, yes?
    Last edited by 7Sparrows; 01-11-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention it's a German Blue Ram!
    FW 29 Gal: 1 Fancy Goldfish
    FW 55 Gal: 8 Albino Corydoras, 1 Platy, 3 Swordtails, 1 Molly, 6 Nerite Snails
    Currently in QT: 1 German Blue Ram, 3 Platies, 1 Swordtail

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    470

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I had a lone female for a good 5 months until a bought her a mate just yesterday. Mine did fine alone. My stock was 6 Cardinal tetras, 1 female blue ram, 1 angelfish, 10 cherry barbs. She's not used to the new male so chases him around a bit just to show who's boss, so can't really say if she's happier alone or with a mate but mine did fine alone.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    12

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    I had a lone female for a good 5 months until a bought her a mate just yesterday. Mine did fine alone. My stock was 6 Cardinal tetras, 1 female blue ram, 1 angelfish, 10 cherry barbs. She's not used to the new male so chases him around a bit just to show who's boss, so can't really say if she's happier alone or with a mate but mine did fine alone.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Drew's_Fish_99. I hope your pair settle down soon. Are you hoping that they'll spawn?
    FW 29 Gal: 1 Fancy Goldfish
    FW 55 Gal: 8 Albino Corydoras, 1 Platy, 3 Swordtails, 1 Molly, 6 Nerite Snails
    Currently in QT: 1 German Blue Ram, 3 Platies, 1 Swordtail

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    470

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Honestly? No! I forgot to mention I also have a pleco that'll eat the eggs. Which is kinda cruel but hey, circle of life right? Anyway, I really just wanted them for their attractiveness and personality. Cichlids have really interesting personalities. This is only my second tank so, not really ready for something like that.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    6,626

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    You're safer with just one, depending on the size of your tank and its setup. GBRs can be very territorial, so while a male/female, male/male, female/female may seem to get along at first... it's probably because they're juveniles. When they mature, they'll want their own territory and there's no guarantee that a male/female will pair up... they may hate each other for whatever reason. This unfriendly match-up may become dangerous and you might find that they both become quite aggressive, or one becomes more aggressive than the other. It may lead to fighting and eventual death. Of course, you could be lucky. =] Bolivian Rams are a different story.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

    When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

    Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    470

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Bolivian Rams are a different story.
    I second that! Bolivians don't have the blue coloring, but they're still pretty! Bolivians are definitely hardier, calmer, easier to take care of, friendlier, and typically live longer. If I lose my to GBR's, I plan on getting 2 Bolivian rams.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,209

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   Welcome back to AC--again! - jeffs99dime   
    Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jman   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jman   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Yay!!post some photos, one of my fav fish!!! Congrats
    Stuck w/ 2 many Hobbies...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    6,626

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    I second that! Bolivians don't have the blue coloring, but they're still pretty! Bolivians are definitely hardier, calmer, easier to take care of, friendlier, and typically live longer. If I lose my to GBR's, I plan on getting 2 Bolivian rams.
    Agreed. I love GBRs, but if I ever do a ram again, it'll be Bolivians for sure.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

    When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

    Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    12

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    Honestly? No! I forgot to mention I also have a pleco that'll eat the eggs. Which is kinda cruel but hey, circle of life right? Anyway, I really just wanted them for their attractiveness and personality. Cichlids have really interesting personalities. This is only my second tank so, not really ready for something like that.
    Not cruel at all, sounds like effective population control considering you're not interested in breeding. And I can't blame you- I like seeing occasional swordtail and platy fry in my tank, but I'm never sad to see most of the babies disappear over time. I've actually got a couple of older fry that I'll most likely cull soon (my office has a Jack Dempsey who will happily gulp them down).

    Cichlids can make great personable fish, absolutely. I used to have a green severum who was a wonderful character. :)

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    12

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    You're safer with just one, depending on the size of your tank and its setup. GBRs can be very territorial, so while a male/female, male/male, female/female may seem to get along at first... it's probably because they're juveniles. When they mature, they'll want their own territory and there's no guarantee that a male/female will pair up... they may hate each other for whatever reason. This unfriendly match-up may become dangerous and you might find that they both become quite aggressive, or one becomes more aggressive than the other. It may lead to fighting and eventual death. Of course, you could be lucky. =] Bolivian Rams are a different story.
    Ah, I didn't know Bolivians would be less aggressive, interesting. I'll stick with my single GBR then, thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •