· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a girl!

1. Red face It's a girl!

0 Not allowed!
    Rams are very hard to find in my area, but I came across one this week and decided to take the plunge and purchase it today. She's a pretty little female, about 1.5 inches, and very active. I'm hoping she'll continue to do well in the quarantine tank and I can move her into the main tank next month.

I've never kept rams before so I was wondering if a solitary female in a community tank (corydoras and assorted livebearers) is OK, or would she be happier with a companion?

Also, I purchased her mainly in the hopes that she'll help control my livebearer population. Being a cichlid, she should snack on the fry, yes?
    Last edited by 7Sparrows; 01-11-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention it's a German Blue Ram!
    FW 29 Gal: 1 Fancy Goldfish
    FW 55 Gal: 8 Albino Corydoras, 1 Platy, 3 Swordtails, 1 Molly, 6 Nerite Snails
    Currently in QT: 1 German Blue Ram, 3 Platies, 1 Swordtail

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a lone female for a good 5 months until a bought her a mate just yesterday. Mine did fine alone. My stock was 6 Cardinal tetras, 1 female blue ram, 1 angelfish, 10 cherry barbs. She's not used to the new male so chases him around a bit just to show who's boss, so can't really say if she's happier alone or with a mate but mine did fine alone.
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii. And soon to be Balansae crypts, and probably more crypts... Blame Compass!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    I had a lone female for a good 5 months until a bought her a mate just yesterday. Mine did fine alone. My stock was 6 Cardinal tetras, 1 female blue ram, 1 angelfish, 10 cherry barbs. She's not used to the new male so chases him around a bit just to show who's boss, so can't really say if she's happier alone or with a mate but mine did fine alone.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Drew's_Fish_99. I hope your pair settle down soon. Are you hoping that they'll spawn?
    FW 29 Gal: 1 Fancy Goldfish
    FW 55 Gal: 8 Albino Corydoras, 1 Platy, 3 Swordtails, 1 Molly, 6 Nerite Snails
    Currently in QT: 1 German Blue Ram, 3 Platies, 1 Swordtail

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly? No! I forgot to mention I also have a pleco that'll eat the eggs. Which is kinda cruel but hey, circle of life right? Anyway, I really just wanted them for their attractiveness and personality. Cichlids have really interesting personalities. This is only my second tank so, not really ready for something like that.
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii. And soon to be Balansae crypts, and probably more crypts... Blame Compass!

1 Not allowed!
    You're safer with just one, depending on the size of your tank and its setup. GBRs can be very territorial, so while a male/female, male/male, female/female may seem to get along at first... it's probably because they're juveniles. When they mature, they'll want their own territory and there's no guarantee that a male/female will pair up... they may hate each other for whatever reason. This unfriendly match-up may become dangerous and you might find that they both become quite aggressive, or one becomes more aggressive than the other. It may lead to fighting and eventual death. Of course, you could be lucky. =] Bolivian Rams are a different story.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Bolivian Rams are a different story.
    I second that! Bolivians don't have the blue coloring, but they're still pretty! Bolivians are definitely hardier, calmer, easier to take care of, friendlier, and typically live longer. If I lose my to GBR's, I plan on getting 2 Bolivian rams.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yay!!post some photos, one of my fav fish!!! Congrats
    Stuck w/ 2 many Hobbies...

0 Not allowed!
    I second that! Bolivians don't have the blue coloring, but they're still pretty! Bolivians are definitely hardier, calmer, easier to take care of, friendlier, and typically live longer. If I lose my to GBR's, I plan on getting 2 Bolivian rams.
    Agreed. I love GBRs, but if I ever do a ram again, it'll be Bolivians for sure.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly? No! I forgot to mention I also have a pleco that'll eat the eggs. Which is kinda cruel but hey, circle of life right? Anyway, I really just wanted them for their attractiveness and personality. Cichlids have really interesting personalities. This is only my second tank so, not really ready for something like that.
    Not cruel at all, sounds like effective population control considering you're not interested in breeding. And I can't blame you- I like seeing occasional swordtail and platy fry in my tank, but I'm never sad to see most of the babies disappear over time. I've actually got a couple of older fry that I'll most likely cull soon (my office has a Jack Dempsey who will happily gulp them down).

Cichlids can make great personable fish, absolutely. I used to have a green severum who was a wonderful character. :)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    You're safer with just one, depending on the size of your tank and its setup. GBRs can be very territorial, so while a male/female, male/male, female/female may seem to get along at first... it's probably because they're juveniles. When they mature, they'll want their own territory and there's no guarantee that a male/female will pair up... they may hate each other for whatever reason. This unfriendly match-up may become dangerous and you might find that they both become quite aggressive, or one becomes more aggressive than the other. It may lead to fighting and eventual death. Of course, you could be lucky. =] Bolivian Rams are a different story.
    Ah, I didn't know Bolivians would be less aggressive, interesting. I'll stick with my single GBR then, thanks.