· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sump / Refugium size

0 Not allowed!
    So I am building the 120 short aquarium. I have available for use as a sump a 55g and a 20g long. any thoughts on which. originally I was going to take advantage of the 1 per gallon sale at petco and do a 40 breeder. The 55 would be fine except that I would have to build the stand to accomodate the 48" tank inside. just wondering what others would do.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    Well the main tank is 4' long, so you could have the sump flush on the short side if needed, and also since it is half the width of the 120, you could take it out through the side if needed (make a door for access be 1 side of the stand
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest the largest sump you can afford and build around. The reason I would recommend that is for two reasons. The first is to allow for a wider range of equipment options, more live rock, or even a larger refugium compartment for increased nutrient processing. The second is the benefits of increasing your water volume without having to get a bigger tank. This will make it even more forgiving for your first set-up should you happen to make a mistake or two along the way

If this was my set-up, I would go for the 55 gallon and build a stand to suit. The below link show a example of two different stand that I built for my 120 gallon tank and 55 gallon sump (the first and last example)

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/bui...quarium-stand/

Is building a different stand a option for you as you already have a stand for this tank?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 90 I'll sell you as a sump ;)

210 gallons of water then
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, I put a custom made 100+ gallon sump on my 180 gallon tank, only because I had the room to do it and I wanted all the benefits of all that extra water volume, which was about 75 gallons once I allowed room in the sump for drain-back.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    just fyi cliff... looking at all your stands... I hate you.

I want that 180 set up, that looks amazing.

Only thing I'd have done different on the 120/55 stand you built was made it so that the door to the sump on the side was more hidden (no handle, and locked with a slide lock on the inside) since it is only for emergency purposes.
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    I had purposely placed the door at that side so I could use it to get access to the return pump and media reactor in the last compartment of the sump. At first I was only thinking about emergency use but its used more for improved routine access. I also find it easier to use that door for water top-ups as well.

0 Not allowed!
    ah ok, yea all i'm saying is not having the handle there, but if you use it often then I agree it makes it easier

I can't wait till the day I get on here saying I've decided to set up a SW... i just don't think I can afford one for awhile
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I think even with a 40b he would have to make a new stand. My premade stand has a center support between the doors so only canisters fit.

I think you should build a stand that will work with the 55 (sliding the sump in from an end) and sell the premade stand you have. They aren't cheap in store and should be easy to sell.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've decided to do an in wall build so I will be using the 55 gallon as the Sump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast