· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Why not make your 120 the FOWLR and the 72 your reef ?

That way, you can get a lot more options for some really cool fish and you can save some cash setting up reef lighting and a skimmer on a 72 gallon tank as compared to a 120.

Depending on your fish choices, you might be able to keep a few select types of corals as many "non-reef safe" fish get that classification based on their predatory nature and not the fact they will munch on corals
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had considered just doing the 72g but it being a bow front I really felt like it was a limitation. I have seen a few bowfront reefs and to me they always look crammed in there. And lighting I really didn't see any good lighting. It also has a scratch right on the front. I cleaned it up a bit and it's better but decided that it was not good enough for my main DT. I haven't totally decided if I am going to keep it at all but I might.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    I still hope you end up considering the Radiata Lionfish :)

Love the look of those

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

1 Not allowed!
    not a bad deal. looking forward to your progress and you're in the right place for good sw info. time to start weeks of reading. hehehe...

my word of advice for starting out, start slow and simple. it will make the hobby less intimidating at first and then expand your tank and knowledge as time/money/reading allows.
    Thar she blows!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Progress is a little slower than I like but I guess that's par for the course when you have to liquidate livestock and tanks to make room for a new build. I did re home all of my freshwater fish along with a few plants and wood. Moving some hardware items tomorrow and hopefully the rest of the plants this weekend.

I have been reading and researching as much an possible putting together my equipment list so I can place orders this week. I have decided I would give the new old protein skimmer that came with the tank a go. It seems to be built pretty well and they are fairly simplistic devices. It would seem by the design that they're should be pretty good prolonged contact with the bubbles based on the design.
    Skimmer_Flow.JPG

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing wrong with giving that skimmer a try

I would suggest keeping your stocking level low until your tank starts to matures as that style of skimmer is said to be not as efficient as other designs
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In other news the freshwater fishes have a new home and some of my old equipment has been sold. I am hoping to move some furniture and drain, clean and break down the other tanks this weekend.

On the equipment front I have decided to invest in LED reef lights. I figured by the time I upgraded my existing t5 lights for corals plus the cost of bulbs annually I would be better off. I am looking at the lights from ReefBreeders.com. I also just saw an ad a fellow has on craigslist for a 3 month old ASM g4 protein skimmer for $250. I know I said I would give the one I have a try but at the price it's hard to pass up.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    That skimmer likely would not fit into a 55 gallon tank as a sump. If you choose that skimmer you would need a larger sump as well as building a larger stand

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/prote...er-p-1154.html

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Jeez Cliff I sure hate it when you point out the pesky little details that are right under my nose... LOL. I guess I will pass on that then.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, Just trying to help you avoid the same mistakes I have made in the past.