· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Mike your workmanship is stunning... the attention to detail is absolutely fantastic!

You're new gravity system makes me feel much better than the last one. I expected it to keep trickling with the air loop just because of pressure. The solenoid is a fantastic fail safe though since from what I gathered it's a normally closed valve it'll protect when power loss happens (if it happens)

I apologize if I missed it but what's the eggcrate for on the bottom of the DT?

Can't wait to keep watching this progress it's a very clean build and very thoroughly thought out!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Hockeyhead!

The theory on the last gravity based system would work but the failure was the materials used. The 5g plastic bucket obviously has a small air leak somewhere and just the give in the lid and sides allowed more water to flow after the level was reached. On a smaller scale with an airtight glass jug for a nano tank it would work much better. My testing has shown the ATO currently working as desired now with the solenoid valve. I have been evaporating at a rate of 1 - 1.5 gallons per day. It is pretty dry here now so I don't think that will increase any.

The eggcrate in the bottom is just protection from the rock for the glass. It will also keep the rock from sliding around while I place it in the tank. I am currently laying out the rocks on my desk (I have a big desk LOL). I have a cardboard template the same size as the DT to aid in placement.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I agree in theory it should work lol however it requires, like you said, everything to be absolutely air tight, also I think you're flow rate would vary since the air would have spring like qualities in a system like that.

Regardless, love the build can't wait to see what you do with the aquascaping!! Any thoughts on having a back wall of rock? I believe Cliff did it in his 120 or 90 build, can't remember, but that was definitely something different that looked cool. And the eggcrate to protect the glass is a great idea.

Have you tried a power loss test? Just to make sure your flow and everything reacts how you expect?
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried a power loss test? Just to make sure your flow and everything reacts how you expect?
    I have and the overflow works perfectly just as it does on my 72g. I am experiencing one problem though. The mag24 pump doesn't always want to restart. I used it because it was "new" and came as part of the package deal I got on the tank. I think I may look for a new pump. I am open to suggestions for comparable pumps.

0 Not allowed!
    Can't say I have enough knowledge of pumps with a high flow rate like that so I'll wait for somebody else to chime in. Glad to hear everything works as expected!

0 Not allowed!
    I am a big fan of ReefFlo pumps

If you are open to drilling the sump (for a external pump feed) then I would suggest either the Dart-Snapper or the Trident III

http://www.reeflopumps.com/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am not opposed to an external pump but the 55 I believe is tempered all around. So drilling it is not an option.

Dinner seems to think its a bad impeller. I ordered a new one from Drs Foster & Smith today. They said I could return it if it does not fix the issue
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    would you necessarily have to drill for an external? You could just oversize slightly and have it be pulling out of the sump with a pvc run and then a return like normal. The oversizing would be to overcome the extra power needed to pull the water up and over the side of the sump and down to the pump

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have not seen any self priming pumps. The trick would be to get it set up to where the pump wouldn't lose its prime during a power outage.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I checked the audio level in the fish room... its a little on the loud side. 50-55 would be better.
    uploadfromtaptalk1395756449487.jpg
    Last edited by mrramsey; 03-25-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast