Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ATO is pretty well finished. Here are some pics.

Here you can see the reservoir for the RO water. There is a valve to fill it on top from the ro storage tank.

Here you can see the water level set tube. This should remain submerged but when the water evaporates it allows air to enter and water to drain from the reservoir. When the water submerges the tube the flow will stop.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by mrramsey; 03-13-2014 at 01:20 AM.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe I'm missing something in the setup but won't that just creat a siphon? That looks to me like it'll keep adding RO water to your sump until that 5 gal bucket is empty. Again I might be missing something but just wanted to check
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something in the setup but won't that just create a siphon? That looks to me like it'll keep adding RO water to your sump until that 5 gal bucket is empty. Again I might be missing something but just wanted to check
    Try to picture putting your finger over the end of a straw full of pop. The pop stays in the straw until you let air into the opposite end. The air inlet tube under the surface of the water acts as your finger would on the end of the straw. When the water level drops below the tube air is allowed in and fills the top of the bucket allowing the water to flow. When the water again covers the air inlet tube the flow will stop. Simple, effective, no moving parts.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    gotcha gotcha, didn't know the 5 gal bucket was sealed lol my bad. Very smart system, I had that in my mind but couldn't see the air return line, I see it now that you explained it and I looked a little harder lol
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019 View Post
    gotcha gotcha, didn't know the 5 gal bucket was sealed lol my bad. Very smart system, I had that in my mind but couldn't see the air return line, I see it now that you explained it and I looked a little harder lol
    Just an experiment at this point... It works but I am finding that it is slow to shut off due to the give in the bucket and its kind of noisy when I simulate evaporation. You get a lot of gurgle noise. I may just put a float valve in and still utilize the gravity feed.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the design and theory behind the ATO is good but falls short. I made a few tests to see how it would work and it did to a degree. I think the tubing i used was too large and the bucket had too much give allowing the water to almost continuously trickle. The float valve idea would probably work but takes far too much space in the return section of the sump. The gravity flow works fine so I am revamping the system to use a single low voltage float switch from Autotopoff.com and a Solenoid valve.

The single switch will be fine in this case since I only have a 5 gallon reservoir and flooding is not possible. The solenoid is a normally closed valve so no water will flow in a power outage. I can manually top off directly from the RO storage tank if this happens.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Taking a break on plumbing for a bit. I need to get some electric ran. I started with the power control box. One might day its overkill. Here is the mock up ... no working has been done yet.

The front has the stc-1000 temp controller and two switches for the return pump and skimmer. I have plenty of room for future upgrades but for now the two will suffice since the power heads and lights have their own controller.
    uploadfromtaptalk1394916205558.jpg

The back has 8 recepticals of which 2 are switched. The black outlet is going to be wired to the stc-1000 for the heater tubes.
    uploadfromtaptalk1394916407795.jpg

Since the wall is not a permanent structure I opted to build the panel this way. It will be plugged into an existing outlet via a 12/3 rubber sheathed cable.

It will be mounted here about 24" above the sump. I am still adding one receptacle on the front of the panel for the fuge light timer.
    uploadfromtaptalk1394916728461.jpg
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast