· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default Mrramsey's Saltwater Adventure - 120g Build

1 Not allowed!
    Well folks how did we get here? It all starts with the fact that I have always wanted to have saltwater fish but for one reason or another I never did it. Well a recent turn of events gave me a reason to do it. On January first of this year (1/1/2014) I lost my sister to breast cancer. She had fought hard for 5 years. As you can imagine it was a pretty rough end to 2013 and just as rough of a beginning to 2013. She was 46 years old - too young, too soon.

We both made choices in life the put us a separate ends of the country so we did not see each other much. She had a real love for nature, animals and the ocean. So I thought "how can I honor her memory". Well I give you the Laura Patrick Memorial Aquarium. I am Still in the planning phases but have a pretty good idea of what i want to do.

So begins a new journal...
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

Northeast Pennsylvania

Awards Showcase

Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 Merry Christmas - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Very sorry for your loss but the new aquarium will be a wonderful tribute to your sister

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Judi - I am going to try my best.

Thanks to my aquatic buddy, Hardy85, for helping me locate and decide on the right tank. I will post that story later going to take my son to a movie tonight.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am very sorry for your loss. A tribute tank sounds like a cool idea.
    I hope that your year gets better!
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 01-10-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Elgin, Illinois USA

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the nomination :) - steeler58 Thanks 4 help - pRED T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly Thanks for sharing your knowledge! - Silbar 
    Happy Easter - fishmommie You stumped me! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 5,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 For your 3 year anniversary - Boundava Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I'm sure this will be a wonderful tribute to her.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Peacock Gudgeons
    Future 40 Long - Panda Garras & Glowlight Danios

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. But what a great way to honor her memory

I am looking forward to following your build
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL=""]

0 Not allowed!
    I can't wait to see it develop, so for being such a bad influence :)

Like I've said before, I'm sure you sister would love it

8. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you everyone for the condolences and prayers. They are gratefully received.

Now to press onward. Here is where I am to date.

I started planning this adventure chatting quite a bit with Hardy85 via facebook. Hours of scouring craigslist for something decent that wasn't overpriced and something that people would actually respond to. Chased a lot of dead ends but alas there was one I saw weeks ago that looked great but had a $750 price tag. I pretty much wrote it off as I had emailed the guy and he was really slow to respond. Well I took one last ditch effort since it was still listed and said "Hey, I am still interested can you give me a contact number?". I got a response the same morning.

We had emailed back and forth a couple times and I had asked him if he would be willing to sell just the tank since that was the piece i wanted most or if he was flexible on price. He responded with "I would rather be flexible than part it out" so I called. He proceeded to tell me the story. He lived in Maine and was going to start a reef tank, he bought the tank and stand, protein skimmer, rio2100 pump, mag24 pump, and 8 30# bags of aragomax sand. never set it up in Maine and then moved to Ohio soon after. So her sits all of this stuff that has never seen water.
    Still wrapped in bubble wrap from the move. I started the negotiations, $400, he countered with $650 and I with $475, then he with $500. At that point I had to get to a meeting and said I would go over the numbers to see if it worked for me and call him back in an hour. Now this thing is about 70 miles from me and I don't have a truck anymore so transportation was gong to be an issue. I would need to rent a van or truck to get it, well there's another $100. I really started weighing it out pro's, con's and costs with Hardy85 on the other end live while all of this is happening.

It was pretty comical, I kept getting these chats "Well?", the suspense was high! I decided that $500 was too much and in fact so was $475. I really just wanted the tank and maybe some of the sand. The rest I could sell on craigslist or ebay but just the shear hassle of it was turning me off. I was ready to purchase a new tank at that point.

I called the guy back and said "After looking the numbers I really have to stay at my original $400". I kindly explained that while it is technically new it was not. I explained used tank values etc. I offered him $200 for the tank alone if he would split it up but if I took all of it I would go $400. I explained that I was assuming the burden of hauling and reselling along with the risk of buying the tank without any warranty. I gave him my number and told him to think it over and let me know. I thought that was going to be the end of it.

Twenty minutes later I get a call, it's him. He says "OK $400 for all of it". I agreed on the condition that he at least pull the bubble wrap off and take some pics of the tank. I said to him "You know, you and I both are assuming that nothing has happened to the tank since you movers moved it some years ago". He replies with "You know, I didn't even thing of that." He later send me some pics. I am picking it up in the morning.

The downside to this is that I will be tearing down the freshwater tanks. I enjoy them but I think it would be too much to maintain. I am planning on reusing the 55g as the sump. Depending on what all I use of this stuff I may keep the 72 as a fish only or FOWLR tank. I will be re-homing all of the freshwater fish and plants. as well as selling some of the equipment. More coming soon.
    Last edited by mrramsey; 01-11-2014 at 02:48 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    The suspense was very high, was fun watching you go back and forth, but I still think it's a heck of a deal for a great looking tank

Can't wait to watch you work your magic with the overflow, sump, and stand build.

Watching your 72 get built was awesome, I know this we be good too!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on a good buy. I look forward to seeing the project develop.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.