· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Eheim 2217 Canister Flow

0 Not allowed!
    I remember when I first setup my Eheim, I could adjust the rate to where it looked like the fish was fighting the current going in to the filter tube itself. There seemed to be so much power. I know my loaches like that same current in the water and most fish do. Anyways, I can't seem to replicate that anymore. Would anyone have any idea if it is a problem with my filter setup or what else I may not be doing other than adjusting the knobs? Sorry for the newbieness here.

Pictures of the setup.

20140110_172852.jpg
    20140110_172918.jpg
    55 gallon tank
    Eheim 2217 Canister Filter
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

1 Not allowed!
    When did you clean your filter last? if so, did you clean the impeller and assembly (meaning did you take the impeller out of the assembly and clean inside of the opening with a filter brush? Did you pull all of the media out and clean the canister itself? is anything visible inside the inlet/outlet lines? Is your media fouled up with large pieces of debris. Do you have filter floss or pads, if so, did you clean them out completely? Lastly, is there air trapped inside the canister or lines, if you use a flashlight and shine it on the canister you can tell. When you take the double taps apart, are there any obstructions?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I usually find with my Eheim Claasics that when the flow is reduced, it's something to do with the intake. Could be anywhere from the intake along the tube, through the double tap valves, to where the tube connects to the canister body. I'd clean all those and see if things improve.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I cleaned out the impeller and assembly today, wasn't bad at all, but that didn't help with the flow. I think there were one or two areas that I need to clean as far as the tubes go, but not entirely sure where the problem is. I cleaned the entire canister about a month ago at most. If anything I do see build up on one or two of the valves, but not enough to where it would block out flow that strong. I cleaned most of everything out the last time I did it. I'll take a good video shot of everything tomorrow.
    55 gallon tank
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

0 Not allowed!
    Your filter pads are unobstructed and your media is mostly clear? That will affect flow severely if not.

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a pre-filter sponge, be certain it is clean, too...I squeeze mine out in tank water in a bucket once a week, when I do a PWC
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Filter pads and media were all cleaned out when I did my full clean up sometime last month. Basically, everything in the tank except the impeller and assembly was thoroughly cleaned out. The impeller / assemb. I cleaned out yesterday. The only other parts left are the tubes which do have debris, but I doubt it's the reason. I will clean them now.
    55 gallon tank
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

0 Not allowed!
    Biofilm building up in the tubes,e specially the thin one, can have a significant effect on flow. I clean out the tubes of my eheim every month or so, and there always is a significant change in flow rate thereafter.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just went to it and shaked the entire canister for about 10-15 seconds and all of the sudden a stronger flow from the spray tube started taking effect. So I'm guessing there was some air stuck inside, now I see a lot of debris inside my water tank, i'm assuming from the canister. However, I don't think the flow is as strong as it could be, since I know when I first set this up, most of my fish were practically fighting against the strong current from the filter tube that goes towards the bottom area.

Is there something in home I could use to clean out the tubes when I take them apart? I do see a lot of debris formation.
    55 gallon tank
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

1 Not allowed!
    Use a long filter brush. Just make sure that when you pull the filter brush back out of the tubing you don't pull towards your face or you will end up with stuff all over you. I like to use a cloth or rag and hold it at the end of the tube so as to avoid splatter. Don't ask me how I know this. lol
    Make sure to clean out the double taps and the inlet and outlets of the filter too.