· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 120g reef build - Flow rate question

0 Not allowed!
    Ok here's the dealeo...

Made an epic purchase on CL. 8yr old 120g Short, Skimmer, Rio2100 pump for skimmer, mag24 return, 240# carib sea aragomax sand and stand $400. Guy bought it all new and never set it up. Nothing has seen water

I plan on doing a beananimal coast to coast overflow like i did in my 72g. I am following the design to a t this time though. I want to push about 1200 gph through the sump so I started calculating the flow rate of the mag24. Initially I thought it sounded like it would be too much pump. Danner mfg. recommends to use 1.5" diameter piping for maximum flow. I enter the info on the ReefCentral head loss calculator with my theoretical plumbing layout and I got :
    Total losses are 8.34 feet of head pressure, or 3.6 PSI. with a flow rate of 1371 GPH.

This was using 1.5" pipe and some number of fittings and valves etc. My question is what happens when you reduce the exit points to 3/4" line loc ... Does that then say that the whole pipe diameter should be 3/4"?

Cliff?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    adding to the above question I wanted to point out that I am talking about two 3/4" outlets. wouldn't that equal out to be ~1.5"?
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Finally - I don't do SW but I am sub'd to this since I have followed it since prior to the purchase ;)

0 Not allowed!
    I have my 1.5 inch return line splitting off into two 3/4 inch lines on my 180 gallon tank. The only down side is a slight loss of GPH due to a few more fittings, but nothing impactful enough to even care about.

I am wondering though how the on-line flow calculator took a pump with 2,400 GPH and determined the flow would be reduced to 1,350 gph ? That sounds like some serious amount of fittings to get to a equitant of 8 feet of head loss, even with my manifold and extra 12 feet of pipe to accommodate the sump in another room I don’t think I lost that much flow. However, starting off with a pump that has 2,400 GPH should give you extra flow to work with should you want to add any media cartridges for things like bio-pellets or GFO and still leave you with ~1,200 GPH which is pretty good.

I would also look into up-grading your skimmer. As the Rio 2100 pump only has about 700 GPH, it might be a little too underpowered depending on your stocking level.

Make sure you plan for max flow from your return pump when sizing your drain lines. I would suggest one 2 inch or two 1.5 inch main drain lines. As this set-up was never actually up and running, I would not assume everything this guy got will work together. But based on this thread, it sounds like you are already on this path.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly Cliff, I am just seeing if any of the extra equipment is worth using on this set up. Otherwise I will sell it off. I was using the flow calculator on the homepage of reefcentral. the skimmer is the questionable part. I is an Americal Quad II Venturi skimmer. I really couldn't turn up much info on this so pretty much had chalked it up to being the useless piece in this buy. But for $400 the tank and sand are worth that.

The overflow will easily handle 1200 gallons per hour more like 2000. I was figuring all hard pipe but will probably utilize spaflex.

the Mag18 is overkill on my 72 by alot. I can handle only ~700gph max safely. but I think it is not enough for the 120.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal