· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Question about new tank setup: filters

0 Not allowed!
    I just got a new 37gal tank. I had it running for a day with my old marinela d 200 bio wheel filter while I was waiting for my new aquaclear 70. I wanted to run both for about a week or to to keep my cycle, but they both together won't fit with my hood on, and I can't fit my bio-wheel in the filter to keep it going so for lack of a better option, I just have the bio wheel floating around in my tank for now, does anyone have any other ideas? I can't leave my tank w/o a hood especially because I have 3 cats. It's a marineland hood and even if I pop out the other plastic panel in the back the 2 together won't fit. So any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
    37 Gallon Community: (2)Diamond Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (3) Silvertip Tetra (5) rummy nose tetra (1) "fancy" angel (3) Serpae Tetra (2) Marci Rainbow (2) Gold Dust Molly (8) Plants

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    have you tried something like this hood? you just cut out the back plastic piece to the size of holes needed for the filters -
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3790

EDIT - check with slap but I think that's the one he uses and how easy you can trim it.
    Last edited by FrozenTundra; 01-09-2014 at 02:49 AM.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

1 Not allowed!
    squeeze and clean out as much as possible the filter sponges from the old marineland into the tank water while running the new filter. the gunk you dislodge from the old filter will be
    taken up by the new filter.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest running both the old and new filters for about 5 weeks before taking the old one off. This would ensure you are allowing enough time for the new filter to become seeded

Also, as this is only for a short period of time, why not just take the hood off while running the two filters ? As long as you do not have fish that are known to jump out of tanks, you'll be OK
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asult316 View Post
    I can't leave my tank w/o a hood especially because I have 3 cats. It's a marineland hood and even if I pop out the other plastic panel in the back the 2 together won't fit. So any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
    @Cliff - he has 3 cats who would probably love a fishy snack : )

So, the filter you're currently running is cycled already and you need to cycle the new one? The suggestion to squeeze out the media into the water or find a way to get the gunk into the new filter sounds good - or, you just stick the new filter on and it will eventually cycle although I can understand you wanting to speed up the process.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As of right now, I've tried releasing as much "gunk" from my old filters medias as well as keeping the bio wheel floating around the tank. Thanks for the help. Between that, and dosing with microbe special blend, hopefully I can cycle through quickly. Btw, how long so you think I should keep the wheel floating around in there, or if I should even bother leaving it in there al all?
    37 Gallon Community: (2)Diamond Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (3) Silvertip Tetra (5) rummy nose tetra (1) "fancy" angel (3) Serpae Tetra (2) Marci Rainbow (2) Gold Dust Molly (8) Plants

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I don't think leaving the biowheel in there is productive - your concern is the new filter - unless you need the biowheel to stay cycled for another tank. I hope I'm right here : )
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just figured that leaving the bio wheel would help with releasing the bio load it had into the water to help with cycling of the tank and new filter.

1 Not allowed!
    what about running one on the back of the tank and the other on the front...

it may not look great... but it is only temporary right?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It won't work. The hood would be open too much. The hood is one piece that opens up like a car hood.