· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

Question Low Salinity or Freshwater Dip in QT?

1 Not allowed!
    So I've been reading up... and I'm going to ask lots and lots of questions to the point you are annoyed with me.

So in a couple books I've seen mention a short freshwater dip or using a lower salinity in your QT tank with marine fish. Apparently parasitic organisms do not handle low salinity well whereas the fish are more adaptable.

Now granted my books are not exactly the most current, but I've not seen too much talk on this here, so is this actually fairly common? I saw one post that seemed unfavorable in opinion, but not as much detail as to why.

What's the scoop?

0 Not allowed!
    The only silly or annoying question is one that is not asked !!!

Fresh water dips used to be very popular and some still used that approach with mixed success

IMO and IME, both are very bad options as both place your fish in stressful enough conditions that kill off other marine organisms. The problem is that both effect your pH making it at least somewhat unstable (but very different from your normal pH in marine waters) as both approaches have a big impact on the mineral concentration in the water.

IMO and IME, both approaches are completely unnecessary due to the fact that prazi-pro is such a highly effective and a very safe med to use for the treatment of parasites. It is also the med that is reef and anemone safe.

When it come to marine ick, the only effective treatment that I have first hand experience with is using copper based meds in a QT set-up. Copper (when used improperly) can cause changes to your pH, but even that typically will not be as large as a low salinity treatment. When you know how to properly treat with copper in a QT set-up, there should be not changes to your mineral content or pH

BTY, this is a excellent question to ask. One of the growing problems within the marine side of the hobby is flukes on marine fish and flatworms on corals. Both types of parasites seam to be very common among many wholesalers but easy to treat and get rid of if you know what you are doing and can recognize it early enough. I have seen so much of it in the past few years that I know give all my new fish a preventative treatment of prazi-pro in QT and I dip all my new corals in a medicated coral dip before adding them to my main tank.

Does this explanation help ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    That was perfect Cliff!

Like I said my books are a bit older, but I figured they were a good start for some basics and making my list of things I need to get for set up and things I need to do.