· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the female is a bristlenose if thats what you mean. I've seen her flare out some bristles on the side which are usually tucked away but other than that no bristles
    Last edited by philthy; 01-08-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: her* instead of he

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC!

Great looking tanks. I love how you have the 30gal setup. Agreed with the placement of the heater, but when the plants grow in, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

The one problem I see is that you created this beautiful 30gal tank, but you stocked it with fish that will outgrow it.

4 Angels (can grow 6" in length and 8" in height - though a pair in a 30 should be ok. I feel like I'm taking a risk having 3 in a 40B)
    2 BNs (can grow 4-5", but they should be fine)
    1 RTS (can grow 4-5" - it's recommended that they need a bigger tank, but he'll probably be ok in there - might get pretty aggressive)
    1 SAE (I only see one, anyway - can grow 5-6")
    1 Buenos Aeres Tetra (I only see one, anyway - would do well in the tank, but should be in a school of 6-8+)
    2 Clown Loaches (can grow 7-15" and are a schooling fish - as you can see from the video - they should be in a school of 5+)
    7 Guppies (I think that's all I see - these will obviously be fine in the tank... but that's just more bioload on top of everything else)

I'm not going to lie... your selection looks great, the fish look healthy and beautiful, but they're young and will grow. Just be prepared to take action when the time comes. Some will need to be rehomed, some might get pretty aggressive and you might be enticed to upgrade to a much larger tank. ;P You also might run out of room for biological filtration and may have to upgrade to an additional filter, if you haven't already done so.

I'm not sure if you want to keep the Buenos Aires Tetra, but if you do, he should be kept in a school. If you do want to expand the school, you should rehome some of your stock now and not wait.

Also, as a side note, SAEs can do well on their own, but they do like to school (and it's fun to watch). I have 4 in a 75gal.

Anyway, hope I've been helpful. Looking forward to seeing more from you.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 01-08-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Kevin and TD, they both touched on some very important points, that you should address, the tank looks good though, and welcome to the forum.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kevin!

I really appreciate you, aswell as other people, dropping knowledge on this thread.

I agree, youre dead right about the fish out growing the tank, It's even a bit crowded for my liking.
    When my old man came to town I took him to the local fish shop and he insisted on buying more angels and we ended up getting 2 clowns, 4 khuli loaches, 4 more angels and 2 more bristlenoses that i put into the 15g. I want to keep the fish aslong as possible so the plan at the moment is to pull out dusty 30g sitting in the garage and start that up in time to move the 5 angels into that tank and see how we go.

I'm Impressed by your count of my fish. In the community tank I have;
    1 red tailed shark
    1 seimese algae eater
    2 Bristlenose catfish
    2 buenos aires tetras
    2 clown loaches
    4 khuli loaches
    5 angelfish
    and 9 guppies
    and some cherry shrimp

yeah definitely overcrowded. I was thinking of trading in the two tetras but was hoping I could get away with it. I think I'll probably swap out the guppies in future though. But I like that the angels occasionally have fry to eat.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, no problem. Khulis are pretty elusive, so it's no surprise that they didn't make much of an appearance. That's quite the bio load you have in there. Haha

You could get away with only 2 tetras, but they're not going to act naturally and are probably going to end up stressed. I have 2 Serpae tetras in my tank, now... but I'm only keeping them, because they're the last of a school that died off from bad breeding (a Petsmart special). They still don't look great, but they've lasted this long, so I'm letting them stick it out. The fish store would probably put them down if I brought them in, anyway. However, they definitely don't act the same as when they were in a school/shoal - they pretty much just stake out separate parts of the tank and hunker down. If I were you, I'd either up their school or take 'em back. They won't be very impressive by themselves.

Khuli loaches are pretty cool fish, but in my opinion, you rarely ever see them, so they just take up bio load and space, without much of a benefit to the owner. In my opinion, I'd get rid of all the loaches. Then, rehome the angels and rethink your stocking. I'd probably up my stocking of Tetras to 8 (they'll fin nip your Angels anyway), keep the RTS and BNs, and maybe add another 2 SAEs.

So, for fun I plugged in all of your information into AQAdvisor (a site that we don't depend on, but it's somewhat useful to get an idea of what we can stock and how much we can stock in what).

It puts your stocking level at 205%. I was being generous with your filter and gave you a Rena Filstar XP3 and that only filters about 73% of the tank. They recommend several massive water changes per week, in addition to a plethora of warnings about compatibility, school stocking, etc. Usually, if it says your stocking level is around 100-115%, you can assume you're safe with the right amount of filtration. 205% is beyond a safe limit. lol

My above recommendation puts you at 95% stocking level, so you have a little room to play. You could probably have one or two angels in there, just be aware of how big they grow.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by philthy View Post
    I was here earlier in the year and didnt get many replies - probably because I was talking about guppies aha.
    Do you have two user names ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to the ac. You've really done some great work on your tanks. And you've gotten great advice.
    The only thing I'd add is: has anyone told you there's a dead guy in one of the tanks? You might want to get him out of there before he fouls up the place .
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    welcome to the ac. You've really done some great work on your tanks. And you've gotten great advice.
    The only thing I'd add is: has anyone told you there's a dead guy in one of the tanks? You might want to get him out of there before he fouls up the place .
    Wow!! What an eye you must have. I tried and can't find it!!

0 Not allowed!
    I can't find it either. lol

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Cliff, yeah this would be my second user name, noo idea what my last one was.

haha fishmommie are you joking? I cant spot any :P