· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New inherited loach

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all I'm in a bit of a dilemma
    I'm gonna inherit a clown loach from my brother who is going to be moving interstate.

Now I have a 40g tank and have a canister filter that filters 1250L per hr.

I am well aware that my tank is to small and I need to have a larger tank. However this isn't an option. Giveing the loach away is also not an option as he will be very upset if I do that.

My question is with my predicament what would be best for the loach. What will be the ideal number of clown loaches I can have to prevent the current loach from getting lonely. Also how much and how often is the ideal number of water changes?

Again I would like to stress i know my tank is too small. But what will be the best scenario for my current situation.

Thanks for all your help in advance

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    What would be best for the loach? A minimum of 150 gallons and 5-6 more loaches. What tank did your brother have the loach in? Is it also too small? If it is appropriately sized then can you take the tank too? How big is the loach now? They are slow growers and your tank might be ok for a short time until you can upgrade.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear it, but what is best for the loach is if you can't provide appropriate housing for it is to re-home it.

You change a minimum of 50% of the tank water weekly, maybe even more often. A big fish in a small tank will need extra clean water to have a chance of being healthy.
    Last edited by mommy1; 01-08-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree that your options are limited to re-homing it, or being prepared to have to do water changes probably twice a week

But it does depend on how big this fish it, at 2-3" you have a little time to look into upgrading... I think the next step would be a 75 or 125g tank and eventually getting enough for a school

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod View Post
    I am well aware that my tank is to small and I need to have a larger tank. However this isn't an option. Giveing the loach away is also not an option as he will be very upset if I do that.
    But, if this fish is being given to you, he will have to understand that you need to do what is best for it. He might be attached but it will no longer be his and as others have already stated above, some fish require a certain amount of space to be happy and healthy, or require tank mates and if you are unable to provide either one, the fish could suffer - I can't imagine you would want that.

Again I would like to stress i know my tank is too small. But what will be the best scenario for my current situation.
    When someone's tank is too small, it's very hard to provide the "best scenario" for long term fish keeping you know?
    Please see my comments above.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

2 Not allowed!
    End of the line for clown loaches done properly is a 5-6ft tank and a group of 8-10 individuals. I know many people will disagree but I still believe these fish should not be sold that much and if a store does stock them they should display this poster:

Can't you explain to your brother that you cannot offer it the best care?

2 Not allowed!
    Your brother will be upset if you give the loach away, but the loach will be quite a bit more upset if it remained in a 40 gallon. A highly social, large growing fish in a 40 gallon will certainly die young from isolation and stunting. And if one loach cannot fit, there is no way that 6 can.
    The best option for the loach is for you to go out and get a 150 gallon and all the equipment to maintain it plus 6 more loaches, but of course, you just took in something that was imposed upon you, so it is understandable that you may not want to put up all that effort.
    The 2nd best option is to take it to a reputable fish store in your vicinity. Of course, there is a risk that it may end up in wrong hands, but there also is the potential that someone with a 250 gallon South American cichlid tank would stumble upon it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    I agree that your options are limited to re-homing it, or being prepared to have to do water changes probably twice a week

But it does depend on how big this fish it, at 2-3" you have a little time to look into upgrading... I think the next step would be a 75 or 125g tank and eventually getting enough for a school
    The loach is currently living in a 20g tank it's about 1-1.5 inch in size. More than likely already stunted. He's not gonna let me take it back to the pet store. I either keep him in a small school in my bigger tank. Or he's gonna stay in his current 20g tank solo and my parents will look after it

0 Not allowed!
    I really do not recommend compounding the problem by getting more loaches.
    I hope we've made clear that a clown loach simply will not survive to an old age(or even just to maturity, for that matter) in a 20 or 40 gallon tank.
    you could show your brother some pictures of adult clown loaches like the ones here http://www.loaches.com/species-index...a-macracanthus