· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Neon Tetra Jumbo questions

0 Not allowed!
    I am trying to determine my next tank additions. Iíve completed a fishless cycle and currently have just the 3 male Platys (added 4/2/14) in my 40 gal breeder. My pH is 7.0; Alkalinity 200 mg/L; Hardness 150 mg/L; Chlorine & Chloramine 0.

I have my water tested (have an APi Master Test Kit of my own on order) every couple of days and it has remained steady at Ammonia 0; Nitrite 0; Nitrate 0. My tank is decorated with driftwood and rocks, and a few live plants.

Iíd like to get a medium-sized school of small, pretty, peaceful fish. May I please have opinions regarding the Neon Tetra Jumbo (Paracheirodon innesi)? Iíve read they max out around 2Ē, which is the size Iím after.

Is my pH of 7 going to be alright for this type of fish? I want to get the type of fish that fits my natural water parameters. I would acclimate using the drip method again.

Iím also concerned that my substrate is not the dark, recommended-for-Tetras color. It is nutmeg colored PFS. When I first set up my tank, Tetras were not even on my planned stocking list.

Another concern is that my light is a T5, is this too bright for them? I would be very willing to get a floating plant Ė like hornwort or something -- if I went with a school of these.

I am interested most of all in having a healthy tank, so if the above concerns are reason to not choose these fish, Iíd appreciate being told so.

If they would mesh well, how many should I add at once? Of course I donít want to add too much on the bio-load at once, but I want enough of them in a batch to keep them at-ease. (Are batches of them at a time the way to go?) Iím aiming for a dozen or so total, but would consider 18, if my tank would be a healthy environment for them.

Thank you for your input!
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

2 Not allowed!
    Never seen neons get 2" usually a smaller than that. In a 40g you could have a good sized school of them. Maybe a dozen, get 6 at a time though, wait a few weeks than add the other 6. May want to quarantine the new fish in a small 10g for a few weeks though just to be safe. pH you have is fine.

With any fish if you add some floating plants to provide some cover so the fish are not out in the open, you'll probably see them a bit more relaxed and willing to explore the tank. Dwarf water lettuce or frogbit is a nice floating plant. Provides a bit of cover and let's light thru as well. Really great if you have shy timid fish, like celestial pearl danios and other fish like that.

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Neons are a great fish. Most neons are already acclimated to the local water supply unless they are wild caught, so regular drip acclimation to your specific tank will be fine.

In a 40g, you could have a ton of them if you wanted, but of course, that means your options for tank mates goes down. They would be very happy in a school of 12-18, and you would have room for more fish. Adding about 6 at once is a good idea.

The color of the substrate won't bother them...it is only recommended because they stand out more against black backgrounds. Having a black/dark background would do the same thing.

Live plants are always a nice addition.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

2 Not allowed!
    As far as I know, "Jumbo" is merely another term for older or mature - which means they may not live as long. I like getting smaller, younger fish, and watching them grow fat and shiny under my care. Also, buy a couple more than you want, depending on your source, you can almost count on losing some thu no fault of your own.

At one store, I would buy 12 neons and hope to have 8 at the end of the transition period...having said that, at another store, I bought 16 hoping to keep 12, and they all lived.

Ditto the above posts.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for the above replies. I'm learning a lot from other's experiences on this site, which is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    buy a couple more than you want, depending on your source, you can almost count on losing some thu no fault of your own.
    Is this true for most new fish? or is it specific to Tetras? Perhaps I should add in a heartier fish next?

Also, I'm concerned (and embarrassed) that I do not have a quarantine tank at all. Hub so far has been adamant that I don't get a second tank of any sort until I get this one up and running.

I do plan to only purchase my live stock (plants included) from a very nice LFS in town. Their specialty is 'show tanks' so I am hoping this might be safer than the big box stores, perhaps.
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

1 Not allowed!
    Well, neons are more mass-produced than some other fish, and some stock is better than others...but I wouldn't pass on neons, they are super little fish. There's nothing else out there for flash like a school of neons. If you are buying from a quality store, you shouldn't have to worry about the stock.
    As far as QT, it is recommended, but obviously some people do without. It becomes more needful when you have an established tank fully stocked - a disease can run through your tank and decimate it and leave you patchwork stocking. Just starting out, you only have a few fish to begin with, you are spacing out the additions, so a QT is not as important.

If you buy healthy fish (no pity buying!), buy all your stock from a single source, practise a good acclimation method, you are less likely to run into disease problems. More than anything else, stress causes sickness. So if you do everything you can to reduce stress, you are far less likely to lose fish. But there are no guarantees.
    20gal long planted community

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Just starting out, you only have a few fish to begin with, you are spacing out the additions, so a QT is not as important.
    Precisely...a new tank with new fish IS a QT tank.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Slap makes a very good point .

And a to Sheamurai's advice on Neons, if you buy from a good source, your success rate will be higher.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

ďBe more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.Ē ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

1 Not allowed!
    No idea about your area, but here with neons you need to take a bit more care. Very common to find them with ich at petsmart/petco. That's why any fish I get from those stores go into a simple bare bottom 10g tank with a cheap filter on it. It's good to get into the practice of quarantining all new fish for a few weeks. A 10g tank and a cheap filter you can do for probably $20. No real need for a heater if your room temp is in the 70s. No need for decor or substrate. The idea is it's a temporary tank you can set up whenever you get new fish. A bare tank is easy to sanitize should there be a need to.

The problem with fish at stores is many times, the same water gets circulated into many tanks. Basic idea is one pump can move water thru 10-15 tanks at a time. So if there is any ich, bacteria, parasites, or anything in the water in one tank, chances are it will spread to other tanks. Another problem is when fish arrive at the store after being shipped there, fish can be stressed out, this can make them more susceptible to ich and other things. So if you're looking to buy fish in one tank, take a quick look around at fish in surrounding tanks is a good idea to see if they seem healthy.

So let's say you have spent $50, $100, $200, etc... on fish you already have in your aquarium. Then you spend $10 on a handful of new fish for your aquarium. Time to roll the odds, anything could happen. A quarantine tank is very cheap insurance against potentially introducing disease/parasites into your aquarium and wiping out everything.