· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assassin Snails

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Assassin Snails

1 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone,

Not the best pic, i can get you guys some more later, but if you look you can see a snail on the plant to the left of the tape measure:

I'm thinking that this is a pond snail, and I'm thinking they hitched into my 40B with my plants. At first there were only a few, and I really didn't mind...now there are ALOT of them, and Lauren's young eyes are spotting tiny baby ones every day. So I am considering getting some assassin snails to help clean these pests up, but I have a few questions. I have read around on the 'net a bit, but you guys always have the best info, so here goes:

1. For a 40 gallon breeder, how many assassins would I need to do the job?
    2. I have read that they attack and eat only snails that are smaller than them, true or not? I'd rather my 2 mystery snails not be harmed
    3. When they eat a snail, what happens to the shell? Do they crunch through that too, are do you net out the empty shells?
    4. Since they burrow in the sand, do they provide any aeration benefit for the substrate?
    5. One thing I read on the net was that they occasionally attack and eat shrimp, any truth to that?
    6. Do assassins breed readily in a tank, or is what you buy is all you'll ever have?

Any other info you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. My LFS only keeps mystery or apples, so if I decide to get some assassins, I'll have to order online.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3 Not allowed!
    1. For a 40 gallon breeder, how many assassins would I need to do the job? Start with 4-5 if you have a bunch of snails in the tank
    2. I have read that they attack and eat only snails that are smaller than them, true or not? I'd rather my 2 mystery snails not be harmed If starving the can gang up on large snails, but its rare that they can take a huge snail down
    3. When they eat a snail, what happens to the shell? Do they crunch through that too, are do you net them out the empty shells? They stay in the tank, u remove or they will eventually breakdown
    4. Since they burrow in the sand, do they provide any aeration benefit for the substrate? Not nearly as well as trumpet snails, but probably some
    5. One thing I read on the net was that they occasionally attack and eat shrimp, any truth to that? No. I have them with RCS, they will eat a dead shrimp though, but can't catch live ones
    6. Do assassins breed readily in a tank, or what you buy is all you'll ever have? They do breed, but it takes a few months before you can see the babies, and then takes another 6 months before they are a decent size - they grow SLOW

If you want some let me know, could probably get some down to you for shipping costs once mine get a little bigger

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

3 Not allowed!
    1) start with 5
    2) it depends, I have heard (not seen) them eating mystery snails
    3) the shell is left usually. It will decompose in the water and add a little extra hardness to it.
    4) yes, just a general amnt.
    5) I have never heard or seen that.
    6) yes they can breed in aquaria... see Brhino's tank lol.

Its hard to control pest snail populations in planted tanks. the long haul answer would be to try the snails out and see how they do on ridding your pond snail problem.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Chris got a little to fast for my old aching fingers lol
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, great info...Hardy, 'Id take some from you RIGHT NOW if they were big enough, I'll gladly pay the shipping and whatever else for your trouble

These guy want $5 each for them, plus shipping: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...06&pcatid=3106

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    6) yes they can breed in aquaria... see Brhino's tank lol.
    For sure! I started out with three, because that was all my LFS had. For a while they would eat the pest snails but there weren't enough of them to dent the population. When I upgraded to a larger tank several months later I found a couple babies for the first time. Now... no idea. I'd guess I have at least a hundred of them. You put food down and they swarm out of the substrate.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    yea, don't do that. I could do like $2 each - but its a bit chilly to ship right now. Mine are about half grown and starting to come out, when you look at my substrate closely you see tons of them

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    For sure! I started out with three, because that was all my LFS had. For a while they would eat the pest snails but there weren't enough of them to dent the population. When I upgraded to a larger tank several months later I found a couple babies for the first time. Now... no idea. I'd guess I have at least a hundred of them. You put food down and they swarm out of the substrate.
    WOW, a hundred?...what food do they go after, I thought they just munched on other snails (?)...your "punk rocker" looks kinda white in those photos, aren't they usually yellow and brown?

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

3 Not allowed!
    Just to add in my experiences:

1. For a 40 gallon breeder, how many assassins would I need to do the job?
    Technically this is more of a how patient are you question. More snails will do the job faster, but if you are worried about issues with other tank mates then you could get one or two and let them take their time on your buffet of snails.
    2. I have read that they attack and eat only snails that are smaller than them, true or not? I'd rather my 2 mystery snails not be harmed
    I have not tested this theory. I have had them eat pond snails and a Malaysian trumpet snail that was smaller (came in on plants) and they do like the sinking wafers.
    3. When they eat a snail, what happens to the shell? Do they crunch through that too, are do you net out the empty shells?
    Shells remain in the tank. They stun their prey and then suck the body out of the shell. You can remove the shells or leave them to deteriorate and potentially add calcium to the water column.
    4. Since they burrow in the sand, do they provide any aeration benefit for the substrate?
    Probably some, but I still stir my sand substrate tank.
    5. One thing I read on the net was that they occasionally attack and eat shrimp, any truth to that?
    I have one rather large and healthy Assassin in a tank with a pair of Amano Shrimp and have not seen any shrimp dinner proclivities. I will say that the question on some of the shrimp issues (at least in my opinion) is more a case of how healthy are the shrimp and how well fed already are the snails. If the snails are more starving they are going to look for food. Assassins aren't too picky about the type of edibles wither and will definitely eat a corpse, be it fish or snail. I also keep several kuhli loaches in a tank with assassins and can't say that either hunts the other.
    6. Do assassins breed readily in a tank, or is what you buy is all you'll ever have?
    Assassins are single sex snails. You must have both a mail and a female snail to get babies. They also lay single egg scattered clutches. If you have a male and female they will reproduce. if you just get one, or two and they are both the same gender then they will not. Here's a great photo of what Assassin Eggs look like:

So overall if you are worried about over breeding or tankmate issues, you could always start with 1 or two and add more if they are too slow for you :)