· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    I'm using a Canon EOS Rebel and have a variety of lenses. 28-80, 50 macro, 75-300 and an 18-75
    That gear will be perfect! You'll probably find yourself using the 18-75 for often than not for this type of photography. The 50mm macro will get some incredible shots but it really shines when shooting from a very close distance and that is not always practical for fish. I find that my 18-55mm is the most commonly used lens.

Another point to remember is that the longer the lens, the faster the shutter speed needs to be to prevent blur from handshake. Image stabilization is not sufficient at the slower shutter speeds when using a big lens.
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I've been using the 28-80...pretty much the same as the 18-55 (18-75 was a typ o oops..lol.) I only use the macro for "bugs" and 300 when outisde. I'll keep practicing..... I'll get there yet!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The other trick that I use is the "pseudo HDR merge". It produces more accurate colours like so...

Angelfish.jpg
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Peche View Post
    The other trick that I use is the "pseudo HDR merge". It produces more accurate colours like so...

Angelfish.jpg
    Beautiful pic!!! I was looking for an "emoticon" of a sentence flying waaaay over my head!!!! lol I think I'll google that...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    Beautiful pic!!! I was looking for an "emoticon" of a sentence flying waaaay over my head!!!! lol I think I'll google that...
    Haha, nah it's not too complicated! ;). It's deliberately complicated jargon to make photographers sound like they know what they are doing

It basically uses a single RAW file from the camera and you artificially make about 3 pictures with different EV settings. Then you merge them into one picture. A true HDR means that you use the EV settings on the camera and take separate pics.

If you have an editing programme then there are usually tutorials on youtube on how to do it. I have Corel's Paint Shop Pro X2.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and to be honest, it can almost replicate how we physically see the image.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess youtube would be really helpful...I do have image editing programs from both photoshop and arcsoft, but found the "file merging" rather confusing, so up to this point I take "80" shots...looking for that "one"....

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Well, the process looks a little like this:

Three images are artificially created from a single RAW file. The EV or brightness is changed in the RAW to JPG conversion.

Image 1 is set at -1.33
    1.JPG

Image 2 is set at -0.67
    2.JPG

Image 3 is set at 0
    3.JPG

The images can then be "merged" using various processes from layering to a dedicated 'HDR Image Merge' feature. The clarity is set to 50/100 and I leave the brightness adjustment at 0.

The image will be further tweaked with regards to sharpness, contrast, noise reduction and will probably be cropped. The end result from this particular batch is...

Ancistrus female.jpg