· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New Malawi setup

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm currently contemplating a big change for my 75 gallon planted tank. Currently I have 4 mollys, 5 giant danios, and a pearl gourami. I am thinking of moving the mollies and gourami to my 29 gallon and returning the danios to my LFS for a credit towards some Mbunas. I plan on changing my substrate to silica based play sand in white. I also want to add egg crate and use sandstone to build a nice formation along the back and on one of the side of my tank. I am currently running a Biowheel emperor 400, and will add an Eheim 2217 and run both. My tap water has 0 nitrites, nitrates, or ammonia, and ph is 8.3. I ordered a KH and GH test kit yesterday as well. I guess based on what I've said am I missing anything? Any recommendations? Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    That is a great filter combo for that tank and will work very well as I had the same on my 55 for several years. Your ph is perfect for that set up. With Mbuna you will want lots of rock to create hiding spots especially if you are going to stock the tank to its capacity as most people do to aid in cutting down on aggression. I would use the HOB for mechanical only and the canister for bio and chem or all bio. You will want to do weekly wc's of 50% or more as Mbuna can be pretty messy. Post pics when you set up/

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Good info above - In my 75 I went african but I have haps and peacocks. I like them better. Peacocks have a great variety of color! Also stay smaller (around 4in) and grow slow so the tank can grow with them.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for those tips! the peacocks are very cool! I might have to look into those. Ive also looked at getting a uv sterilizer and installing it in line on the return for the canister. Are they worth it? Also, what are the cons to doing an all male tank? Thanks again!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Peacocks are what I did as well - the only con to an all male tank is that the males don't colour up as brightly as they do when there are females to compete for.

Personally, I would pass on the uv steriliser (I like to keep things simple, the less gadgets the better), but a case can certainly be made for them being beneficial. You just need to be sure to get the right "size" to do the job.
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ilization.html

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by shifttofirst View Post
    thanks for those tips! the peacocks are very cool! I might have to look into those. Ive also looked at getting a uv sterilizer and installing it in line on the return for the canister. Are they worth it? Also, what are the cons to doing an all male tank? Thanks again!
    In my opinion no - not worth the cost... A razorblade 1x a month with the water changes are fine. Costs less than 25 cents a month.

You want to do an all male tank almost 100% of the time. The only time you want females in my opinion is if you want breeding. I personally love my mix that I have in my 75gal and most will say it doesnt work but it has for me: 4 venustus, 1 sunshine peacock, 1 blue faced peacock, 2 red empress (one male one female), 1 red zebra mbuna (tank boss and will be relocated if he ever shows aggression...), 1 leolupi (sp?), 1 fireball blaze peacock, 2 crystal red peacocks, 1 jacobfreibergi, 1 sulferhead and im looking to double the inhabitants.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

This is my tank I took this morning. Need some sand cleaning but this is 2 weeks after the last scrub down and the tank looks pretty good glass wise. I let the algae get into the dirt and thats the discoloration.