· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

Default Custom Tank Dimensions Query

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so there is a discussion at our house of starting our first marine aquarium as a built in custom tank. This would be a greater than 100 gallon acrylic tank build.

I know with fresh there are certain limitations on depth/height size if you go live planted, but I'm not really seeing much discussion thus far for salt. Anyone have a good link/guideline/etc to consider while I'm speccing out the plans?

1 Not allowed!
    I'm not too sure if there are any credible guidelines out there, but one of my favorite sizes for a marine tank is 48" X 24" X 24" (a 4 foot 120 gallon). I really like the 24inch width and hight as it gives you a lot of opportunities to stack good quantities of live rock in there as well as leaving enough swimming space for some of the more interesting med-large sized fish.

Of course bigger is better if you have the space and $$$ for it.

When planning this built in set-up, I would also suggest deciding if you want a sump or not. I would suggest planning for a sump as that can simplify things on a built in set-up. If you want a sump then you have to plan the hight and framing according to allow for enough room for the sump and a open space big enough to add/remove the sump. If you don't want a sump then plan for some extra space behind or beside the tank for equipment.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you get a sump I would suggest to have the bottom pain of the aquarium drilled for the plumbing. That will help you save a lot of room as you can then have the back of the aquarium almost flush up against a wall if you would like.
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-06-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so here's some photos of the space as we have used it, with a bit more in the details dept:

That's a 65G standard on the ledge. The top of that ledge is 27 inches deep front to back, and 40 inches wide at the narrowest part but the point is 57 inches so the average footprint is about the same as the one you mentioned.

The ledge is 36" tall and aside from the framing, hollow underneath. The plan is to set this area up as the equipment & sump area. (it presently opens up into a closet space that adjoins. We plan to make it have a cupboard style opening at the front as well.

The rub is that the 65G has a 25 inch height and "Mr.Trill" finds that his eye level is more at the top of the tank. So we would like to add height either to the tank or to the base some to raise the tank if adding depth to the tank was not a real possibility. But I'm having trouble with finding guideline information about depths in saltwater.

I know for my freshwater set up, I feel like I'm kind of pushing the depth limit for the amount of care/lighting that live plants need. It seems to me from my research thus far that live plants in a freshwater need a significant more amount of lighting and trimming and fert care than marine would need and I would in theory be able to increase the tank depth and still maintain the tank. The main issue with marine seems to be lighting on that scale.

And yes... this is going to be an expensive project. Which is why I don't want to set myself up for failure with unreasonable expectations.
    Last edited by Trillianne; 01-06-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification!

0 Not allowed!
    I think you might be over thinking the height. The only time that is very critical factor is for swimming space for fish or when you want corals but no live rock (which I would never suggest) With corals, you can always place them at different heights on the live rock to better meet their lighting requirements. Reef tanks are very similar to fresh water heavy plated tanks. They too need anywhere from very high to low lighting level as well as the proper maintenance of nutrients (Calcium, Alkainitly, Magnesium, nitrate and phosphates are the biggest ones). I’ve seen a few pretty amazing 36 inch tall reef tanks

Maybe if you could share a little more info about what you want this set-up to be, I could give you a little better suggestions for tank dimensions. I take it from your other posts, you want a reef set-up. If reef, what types of corals do you like the best ? What type(s) of fish are you most interested in (I’m referring to families of fish,.. ie.. clown fish, tangs, lionfish, triggers….. and so on). Are you thinking about, or would like to have the option to keep anemones as well? Or, if there a picture a set-up(s) that inspires you, you could post that.

Also, quick question about your planned sump. If that space below the current tank opens into a closet, have you considered putting the sump in the closet ? The extra cost for a little longer plumbing and a little larger return pump with be minimal. I had done just that for my 180 gallon set-up and it was the best thing that I did. It makes my maintenance routine sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo much easier.
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-06-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: fixed typos
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so we both really like the Reef aquarium look and that is the one we eyeball the most at the fish stores, so that's the route we want to go.

We do like clown fish. The lionfish are cool, but I'm not all that eager to tackle them so those are not on my short list! We seem to be leaning more pacific (Western Pacific / Western Indo-Pacific) in fish tastes. The Blennys and Wrasses are rather cute imo. The option for an anemone is on the table.

I'll have to get you some photos of some of the great tanks.

The Equipment Cupboard and Closet is not just single use for the fish tank, there is other equipment that needs to stay in there. But the main water shut off is in there, so there is plumbing already and there is to be a drain installed so that will be handy!