· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Default Black Molly Diet

0 Not allowed!
    I am wondering what other foods I can feed my mollies as treats or just give greater variety.

I usually give to 2 small feeding twice a day. Barely a pinch in each feeding.

I tend to alternate between tropical flakes and veggie flakes. 1-2 times a week I also feed them freeze dried bloodworms. Also 1 or 2 days a week I will usually only give them a feeding in the morning only so that they also forage on some of the algae that is growing on the driftwood and other decor.

Anything else that would be recommended to feed them?

I will be getting some pearl gourami as well soon, they are due to arrive at the LFS soon and he will be keeping them in QT for me for at least a week as well since I don't have a spare tank.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    a caution on freeze dried bloodworms; they can cause blockage if fed in large quantities.
    mollies ingest lots of vegetable matter in the mild. their wide mouths designed for scraping reflects this.
    a piece of vegetable, such as a slice of cucumber every once in a while should be beneficial.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sound as though you have a good feeding routine there. Just make sure not too feed freeze-dried foods too often. Once a week maximim would be better. You could give them some vegetable-based frozen foods, as well as blanched vegetables such as lettuce and cucumber. Shelled frozen peas are a great supplement too. Its good to hear you have such a nice LFS, all of the ones in my area are terrible.
    -Ivy
    Any time any person tells me they own fish, I automatically ask them a barrage of questions. "Please tell me it is not a bowl." Do you know what the Nitrogen Cycle is?" "Do you have a filter? What kind?" "How often do you replace water?" "How many fish do you have?" etc etc. Then I continue a discussion for about 20 more minutes before I realize I tend to be the only person that cares.

15 gallon long: One betta fish. Still working on it. Will be a planted aquarium.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    OK with the bloodworms when I do feed them it is less than 1/4 of a tsp and then I scoop out whatever isn't eaten after a minute or 2. And it is usually once per week they get it. Sometimes twice but never closer than 4-5 days apart. Wasn't sure on the veggies. Maybe I can grab some cucumber or zucchini when I go to the store next.

Is it ok to slice it, boil it briefly and then freeze it for when needed? I can pull one out the night before to thaw in the fridge and toss it in the tank. Should I weigh it down or will they sink. Also do you recommend occasional algae wafers?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If you want to freeze zucchini:
    1. Slice a few pieces of zucchini/or the entire one since you will be freezing it
    2. Place them in boiling water until they become soft
    3. Place the pieces on plastic wrap on and put it in the freezer on a flat surface
    4. When the zucchini slices are frozen, store them in a plastic bag/container in the freezer.
    5. When you want to feed your fish, take out a slice and thaw it. I am not sure if it floats or not, but if not you can weigh it down with a rock or get one of those vegetable fish feeding things from your LFS.

Just feeding:
    1. Repeat one and two
    2. Wait for the veggie to cool off
    3. Feed

Regarding Algae Wafers:
    If you end up supplementing with vegetables, there is no need for algae or algae wafers. If you want to you can, but it is not needed.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Ivy; 01-05-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    -Ivy
    Any time any person tells me they own fish, I automatically ask them a barrage of questions. "Please tell me it is not a bowl." Do you know what the Nitrogen Cycle is?" "Do you have a filter? What kind?" "How often do you replace water?" "How many fish do you have?" etc etc. Then I continue a discussion for about 20 more minutes before I realize I tend to be the only person that cares.

15 gallon long: One betta fish. Still working on it. Will be a planted aquarium.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    How often would I feed them fresh veggies if I went that route. I wonder how long I can store them after sliced. That and how thinly I should slice them? And how long do I leave it in the tank before I remove any uneaten food?
    Current tanks:

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm... well I usually leave it in for 12-13 hours. Nothing more than 24 for certain though. I am not really sure how long it lasts in the freezer. I would imagine at least 6-7 months. Maybe someone else will know. Oh and I generally slice them pretty thin.
    Tips:
    Remember to take out the seeds too, as they can make a mess(forgot to mention)
    I feed vegetables a day or so before a water change, as it can be a little messy
    It will take a while for the fish to get used to eating vegetables, as my fish were very hesistant at first but grew to love it.

Heres a link i found that mentions a lot of different vegetables you can feed:
    http://www.aquariumadvice.com/veggies-for-your-fish/
    -Ivy