· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Angelfish now fighting... now what?

0 Not allowed!
    So some of you may recognize my username, I'm the one having what I've called a "fish crisis" over a pair of angelfish I got from my science teacher. They're both male but have gotten along most of their life... in a small ten gallon tank. I now assum that the reason they weren't fighting before was that there wasn't enough room for them to get territorial. But now I'm afraid they're going to kill each other in the 40 gallon tank....
    What should I do? It's the smaller one harassing the bigger one. I have a fifteen gallon but i don't have room for two aquariums. Should I go surrender the smaller one to petco?
    I feel so bad for my black one, he's so out of breath... the little one has been chasing him around.
    Please help

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    yes, if you don't move one out, one will eventually get killed.
    i think it more likely that the reason they weren't fighting before is because they were still juveniles. Many new fishkeepers think their fish are fine because they get along for a few months, not realizing that fish take time to mature and grow into adult behavior, and even after that behavior can change depending on tank mates and environmental changes.

I'm afraid you don't have much choice but to rehome one of those angels.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    yes, if you don't move one out, one will eventually get killed.
    i think it more likely that the reason they weren't fighting before is because they were still juveniles.
    +1 Sadly you will have to give one up or watch one die. It's hard but best for the fish!
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii. And soon to be Balansae crypts, and probably more crypts... Blame Compass!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, they are 2 years old. I'll give the bully to my local petco... none of my friends have big enough aquariums. I'm surprised they didn't kill each other before in that tiny aquarium.

0 Not allowed!
    a stressed, mistreated, ill fish's first priority would likely be survival, not to establish a home range.
    even though your tank isn't much bigger than their original "home", maybe the small amount of extra space and maybe better treatment
    has made one of them comfortable enough to attempt to establish a territory and to attempt to evict the other fish.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    a stressed, mistreated, ill fish's first priority would likely be survival, not to establish a home range.
    even though your tank isn't much bigger than their original "home", maybe the small amount of extra space and maybe better treatment
    has made one of them comfortable enough to attempt to establish a territory and to attempt to evict the other fish.
    To me, it seems as though they have enough space. I know it's not completely ideal for me to have two angels in a 40 gallon, but it does work and they seem quite comfortable in it. They'e original home was 10 gallons. "isn't much bigger" small amount of extra space" is kind of insulting.. I'm thirteen and I saved my 5 dollar allowance to upgrade to a bigger tank. The 40 gallon is on my dresser. I wanted a fifty five gal but it doesn't work in my room.... I had to beg to get the 40 gallon even though I was using my own money. and I mean plead. I know it seems silly for me to get worked up about this, but it's almost like you're insulting it. I appreciate the work everyone does on here providing reliable aquarium advice, and I do appreciate you responding with a helpful answer, but please take into consideration how much work went into that "small amount of extra space". I'm working really hard to give them the best life possible. They aren't fighting at all anymore, I was prepared to give one to my friend and she came over but there hadn't been any problems for a couple of hours so I decided to keep them together.Might have been them just establishing a pecking order. If there are further issues I'll give one away..
    My mom recommended flushing one down the toilet. I hope she was kidding!!!

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I hope your dresser is made of solid oak or something. That doesn't seem terribly safe.

But good luck on rehoming that other angelfish
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No one was trying to insult you here. Even though you did your best...and it really is great that you knew they needed more room...the fact is that it is just not a good situation for those fish. You are doing the right thing by giving one away. It takes commitment to their happiness to realize when something just isn't going to work...and maturity to not just flush one!

Just remember that the one will continue to grow, and small fish like neons will become snacks, so stock carefully. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    no offense meant. I may have skimmed your post a bit too fast and must have thought you were keeping them in a 15 gallon.
    40 gallons is actually just fine for 1 angel, 2 still would be pushing it though.
    As Azurescriber said, you did your best, which is admirable, but it still isn't an ideal situation for the angels.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well they haven't fought since that day and they both seem pretty happy....do I still need to give one away?
    Sorry I kind of exploded there. Yes my dresser is solid oak it's very sturdy. :) I was going to get a 55 gallon, but it looked very awkward in my room and the 40 gal fits my dresser perfectly. I'm now wondering if they could be a breeding pair but just never bred due to bad conditions. Is that possible?I looked at the angelfish sexing thread and it's hard to tell