· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New 10 Gallon Tank -- Fish Dieing

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I am new here. I had fish tanks previously with not this many problems. We started the kids with a 1 gallon tank a few months before Christmas to see how interested they were. They got a new 10 gallon tank for Christmas. I went to a local "Big Box" pet store. That may have been one mistake as I have read on various pages. I setup their new tank on Dec 25th and run it for about 4 days with just some fish food added. I was not testing water at this time. We then moved a snail and mickey mouse fish to their new tank. They seemed to do ok for a few days so we added 3 neon tetras. They died that night. I went back to the fish store and they suggested waiting a few days... after the fact. In the past week and half we have lost mickey mouse fish, snail and 2 shrimp. I started measuring water as suggested and have replaced 3 gallons of water daily for 3 days and seem to making progress on ammonia. I was doing weekly changes of 2 gallons before this. Nearing yellow color on test strips. I need to know where to go from here as the snail was a bout 5 days ago and shrimp have been past 2 nights.

2014-01-05 08.51.01.jpg

2014-01-05 08.52.19.jpg

If I am reading correctly I have:

0 Nitrate
    0 to .25 Nitrite
    150 hardness
    300 alkalinity
    8.4 ph
    low 3 or less ammonia
    73 degrees F

1 Not allowed!
    What you experiencing is that your tank is trying to cycle. You have not grown enough bacteria that you need to eat the ammonia and nitrites which are toxic to fish. You need to cycle your tank. Letting your tank run for a few days will not do anything to cycle your tank

If you have fish in there right now, complete at least a 75% (or about 8 gallon) water change as soon as you can, and don't forget to use a dechlorinater. Read the cycling with fish thread here (link below in my sig) for your next steps.

If there are no fish or shrimp in your tank right now, you should complete a fishless cycle. There is also a link in my sig to a thread there that explains that as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    3 ammonia is very high if it's 3ppm or parts per million. Test strips aren't very reliable and I suggest getting a good liquid test kit. Most here use API brand.

It takes more than a few days to fully cycle a tank. Is there anything left in the tank, if yes do a big water change, either as close to 100% as you can or two 75% changes one right after another, then read this, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

If there are no fish or shrimp left then read this http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Those links will answer most of your questions.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Upon further reading, there was some suggestions of a massive water change. After changing 8 of the 10 gallons, ammonia down to .5. The water temperature is staying at 73.

Thanks for any further advise.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    3 ammonia is very high if it's 3ppm or parts per million. Test strips aren't very reliable and I suggest getting a good liquid test kit. Most here use API brand.

It takes more than a few days to fully cycle a tank. Is there anything left in the tank, if yes do a big water change, either as close to 100% as you can or two 75% changes one right after another, then read this, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

If there are no fish or shrimp left then read this http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Those links will answer most of your questions.

Thanks for the advise. We had snow here today so going to store is not really an option. I just finished changing 8 of 10 gallons with some progress. I found a local small business that I might go check out this week for the liquid test. I might take a water sample to them also. Would another water change this evening overwhelm the 1 fish and shrimp that are left?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    What you experiencing is that your tank is trying to cycle. You have not grown enough bacteria that you need to eat the ammonia and nitrites which are toxic to fish. You need to cycle your tank. Letting your tank run for a few days will not do anything to cycle your tank

If you have fish in there right now, complete at least a 75% (or about 8 gallon) water change as soon as you can, and don't forget to use a dechlorinater. Read the cycling with fish thread here (link below in my sig) for your next steps.

If there are no fish or shrimp in your tank right now, you should complete a fishless cycle. There is also a link in my sig to a thread there that explains that as well
    Thanks just changed 8 gallons. Showing improvement

1 Not allowed!
    I would complete another larger water change to bring the ammonia down to (or below) 0.25ppm

That would be less stressful on your shrimp& fish than being in water with higher ammonia levels.

Also, as Mommy1 suggested, A liquid test kit would be best
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest reading and adhering to the cycling with fish (if any or left) or fishless cycling (no fish left) stickies that were provided to you above. Get an API master liquid test kit, shown here: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...aster+test+kit

The kit is a necessity to properly check your water parameters, and will last you for many moths, if not longer. Be sure you are using a good dechlorinator, lots of us here use Seachems Prime, shown here: [url]http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043304-Prime-500ml/dp/B00025694O....you use very little of it to treat (1 ml/10 gallons), so it too will last you a very long time

A medicine syringe is a great way to measure the Prime, or whatever dechlor you use...they are usually marked in ml increments, and can be found at pharmacies (sometimes for free) or dollar stores

Good luck to you
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks will run another water change today. I noticed the filter is 90gph, I understand the filter should not be disturbed now. If I read correctly it is undersized? Should a 2nd more appropriate size filter be added in addition to the one I have been using? I also have an airstone running. I will check out the products suggested for chlorine and water testing at a local small business. Right now I am using topfin brand dechlorinator and test kits.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    here is the link for the prime that slap tried to put a url for - Linky

I use API Stress Coat myself mainly because that is what the LFS has but it is a similar product. I may pick up prime next time since it is fairly cheap on Amazon
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!