· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    I know this is going to sound super nerdy but I have a notebook I keep with me that I write down the names of fish I see that I like and then come home and read up and fill out their needs so when I go back I will know.
    This brought a happy tear to my eye.

Most of us here are fish nerds and we often tell new people to take notes at the fish store and come home and learn about the fish they are interested in before they buy anything.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't take a notepad myself but I do have the camera on my smartphone that auto syncs to drop box so they are on my computer waiting for me the second I get home :)
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    I believe the tank has cycled but still want to add fish gradually so everyone involved has minimal stress assuming it makes a difference to them?
    As has been advised above, you can't "assume" a tank is cycled (I hope you know this). I hope you are able to get a hold of a liquid test kit because they are much more specific & accurate - strips I don't believe can give you precise readings and while a tank is cycling that's important. Very often, a LFS will tell you your water is "fine" when it really isn't because they want you to buy fish. My local Petsmarts told me that 1.0ppm of ammonia was fine - it's actually dangerous. While a tank is cycling, ammonia shouldn't go over .25ppm - if it goes higher you need to change the water to lower it.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was able to get the liquid master test kit today! I tested my water as soon as I got home and my ammonia was at 1.0. I have been doing daily water changes. After testing I did a 30%change and added prime. I'm waiting for a couple of hours before I check it again. I recently changed the substrate from gravel to sand for my plecos and corys and have what I THINK is a bacterial bloom which I spent most of last night reading on. Also, as if that wasn't enough... think I have been over feeding and I might have messed up my cycle. :( I turned the air up a little as I read that it could help and I have been trying to skip a few feedings. Last night I didn't feed them before bed but fed them this morning. (and i went to bed feeling like i was starving my dogs or something) I read twice a day was ideal and I scoop out leftovers with a net, except for the wafers I drop in when I turn the lights off in the tank and go to bed. Those I scoop out when I turn the lights on in the morning. So I am going to hold off on filling out the schools until I can get things stable again. Can changing the substrate bump a cycle?

I just rechecked the water and my readings are
    PH 7.2
    Ammonia 1.0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0

i should do another water change shouldn't i? Or is the prime messing with the results?
    Last edited by Simplicity; 01-07-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I would probably do at least another 50% water change on top of what you already did. That ammonia was to high.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i will do one now then. I don't want anyone to suffer. as I'm looking at it it might be at .50. the color is so similar it's hard to tell. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thank you!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    a good read if you haven't done so already is the cycling with fish sticky - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Current tanks:

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have given that a good read several times along with a few other sources trying to find the simplest version that would make it all make sense. I do take caring for living things seriously and give it 100%. I have to say the first thing i do when i get home (after patting my dogs on the head lol) is test my water and do a change. This means I burn dinner later but the family have been very understanding and no complaints yet. I was testing 1.0 ppm for ammonia with no nitrates or nitrites. I was doing one or two water changes an evening depending on my readings and using prime. I check the readings again before I go to bed to make sure nothing is crazy. It would kill me if anything were to die. today was the first day that I have had any nitrates or nitrites. When i got home from work and tested my readings were:
    Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 1.0
    Nitrite .50
    Nitrate 0

i did a water change and added prime and checked three hours later. My readings were:
    Ph 7.6
    Ammonia .50
    Nitrite 0.25
    Nitrate 5.0 (this is the first test that's showing any nitrate.)

If there's anything else I can do to make my fish more comfortable I would to love to know. I am still putting off raising my number of bloodfins, neons and white clouds since it appears I jumped the gun on the cycling of my tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those nitrates are a great sign! But try to keep the ammonia under .25ppm....which means another water change or a bigger one. Ammonia at 1ppm with a 50% water change will still only bring down to .5ppm.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!